Homemade smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Homemade smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:20 pm

The third stack is what looks different to me. Pecan Lodge used to use one with a similar setup but it just had two stacks.

I agree with KAM. Get you some temp probes and fire it up to see how even the temps are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jansonbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Jansonbbq » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:32 pm

bsooner75 wrote:The third stack is what looks different to me. Pecan Lodge used to use one with a similar setup but it just had two stacks.

I agree with KAM. Get you some temp probes and fire it up to see how even the temps are

Thanks. Trying it this weekend

ronrickettsjr
Pilgrim

Postby ronrickettsjr » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:42 pm

This is the kind of pit I could really experiment with. Maybe larger pipe from fire box, Plate the bottom to push smoke to opposite end's then single stack at grate level in the center...That would be my starting point, now the real builders can chime in, remember it's all about air flow with a minimal hot spot.

Then again I am a build with what I got guy :D

Ron Ricketts Jr
Fabkid33
Wrangler

Postby Fabkid33 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:35 pm

Temp probes work great but i learned alot with putting biscuits on mine grab yourself 8 biscuits and throw them on there and that will tell you alot about the hot and cold spots
Jansonbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Jansonbbq » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:06 pm

Fabkid33 wrote:Temp probes work great but i learned alot with putting biscuits on mine grab yourself 8 biscuits and throw them on there and that will tell you alot about the hot and cold spots

Good idea. I’ve cooked on it multiple times now, it definitely does have hot spots. But overall, cooks great. Uses tons of wood, I guess because the flow is to far away

Jansonbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Jansonbbq » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:07 pm

ronrickettsjr wrote:This is the kind of pit I could really experiment with. Maybe larger pipe from fire box, Plate the bottom to push smoke to opposite end's then single stack at grate level in the center...That would be my starting point, now the real builders can chime in, remember it's all about air flow with a minimal hot spot.

Then again I am a build with what I got guy :D

Ron Ricketts Jr

It cooks great but def uses tons of more wood than a traditional offset. 100% need to make the two pipes a larger pipe.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”