171 Gallon Offset Build

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

hogaboomer USER_AVATAR
hogaboomer
Rustler

171 Gallon Offset Build

Postby hogaboomer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:37 pm

Looking at trying a different door hinge design for this new build, and was wondering what k.a.m. and other experts thought.

The first one I did, I used the round bar and tube design. This works fine for my own personal home use, but I want something a little more aesthetically pleasing for something I want to sell.

I've been looking around online for different options, but not sure if what I'm doing will work the best it could. I spent half a day fabbing these two hinges, what do you guys think? Not sure if a bolt and nut deal is the best choice. I've seen some of this type that have the door hinge plate sandwiched between two plates on the chamber...

Last edited by hogaboomer on Mon May 11, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Hinges Designs

Postby GRailsback » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:17 pm

This is what is on mine.

A398517E-1B5F-4BFB-BCDF-04FE364274A2.jpeg
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:24 pm

King Architectural Metals sells a wide variety of hinges. For a smoker door I’d be looking for a stainless hinge pin and a grease fitting since it’s going to be subject to heat, humidity and the elements.
I’d also be consistent on the hinges on the firebox matching the cook chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hogaboomer USER_AVATAR
hogaboomer
Rustler

Postby hogaboomer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:09 pm

strength_and_pow wrote:King Architectural Metals sells a wide variety of hinges. For a smoker door I’d be looking for a stainless hinge pin and a grease fitting since it’s going to be subject to heat, humidity and the elements.
Got any kind of link to something you might be thinking of? I'm open to anything, whatever will work the best.

I thought a bolt would be nice in case they want to take the door off for whatever reason.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:47 pm

strength_and_pow wrote:King Architectural Metals sells a wide variety of hinges. For a smoker door I’d be looking for a stainless hinge pin and a grease fitting since it’s going to be subject to heat, humidity and the elements.

The heat would just cook the grease out. I have never seen one with a grease fitting.
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:49 pm

GRailsback wrote:

The heat would just cook the grease out. I have never seen one with a grease fitting.

https://www.kingmetals.com/Mobile/Catal ... A1D261FF5B

strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:01 pm

hogaboomer wrote:
Got any kind of link to something you might be thinking of? I'm open to anything, whatever will work the best.

I thought a bolt would be nice in case they want to take the door off for whatever reason.

Link in my previous post.
I like your first hinges and how they match to door stops but that’s just me.
Since you are looking to make one to sell, I’d browse a few websites and see what hinge style is common at the price point you are looking to sell it at.
You can still make the door removable if you have both hinges going the same direction. If you are worried about the door sliding off at the wrong time, add a piece with a notch in it on the side it slide towards so the door has to be aligned with the notch to slide far enough to slide off the hinge pins.

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:04 pm

strength_and_pow wrote:
GRailsback wrote:

I am not questioning weather they exist or not. How many have you ever seen on a BBQ pit? And do you think that thing would take the weight of that door?

strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:35 pm

GRailsback wrote:
strength_and_pow wrote:
GRailsback wrote:

I am not questioning weather they exist or not. How many have you ever seen on a BBQ pit? And do you think that thing would take the weight of that door?

To stay on the original post, what was your suggestion for a hinge?

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:43 pm

Perhaps that photo I posted.
1moreford USER_AVATAR
1MoreFord
Rustler

Postby 1MoreFord » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:39 am

GRailsback wrote:

Someone else pointed you at a hinge with a grease fitting.

Here's some grease that will work.

If you won't get it on food this will work. https://swepcolube.com/products/swepco-101-moly-grease

For food service applications where minor incidental contact with food occurs this works. https://swepcolube.com/products/swepco- ... ery-grease
Joe

Falcon MKV Gas Grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn now gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef 24SG, and Weber 22" OTG
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:46 am

1MoreFord wrote:
GRailsback wrote:

Someone else pointed you at a hinge with a grease fitting.

Here's some grease that will work.

If you won't get it on food this will work. https://swepcolube.com/products/swepco-101-moly-grease

For food service applications where minor incidental contact with food occurs this works. https://swepcolube.com/products/swepco- ... ery-grease

I’m not sure why you would want to introduce any type of grease like that around your cooking operation. Maybe there are builders that use some sort of a grease fitting on BBQ pit doors, I’ve just never seen it. It wouldn’t be a sealed system. It seems to me it would be all over the doors. And it just doesn’t make sense to me. But that’s just me. This fella has already built at least one nice pit that I know of. He’ll figure it out. And I’ll keep what I have. It’s solid, and the doors when they are open don’t have a millimeters difference in them, dead nuts on they are.
hogaboomer USER_AVATAR
hogaboomer
Rustler

Postby hogaboomer » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:40 am

I'm curious about how this one is put together. I'm wondering if it needs that pipe going across to keep it from wobbling.

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:05 am

Crisco
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:08 am

hogaboomer wrote:I'm curious about how this one is put together. I'm wondering if it needs that pipe going across to keep it from wobbling.

The pipe going across is probably more a design element than structural as it matches the grab handle.
If you did two body hinge pieces per side and sandwiched the door hinge piece between them, you’d effectively have a double shear connection and would require many thousands of pounds of force to break the bolt.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”