RESTAURANT APPROVED HOMEMADE SMOKER

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

The Real McCoy
Pilgrim

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:06 am

Are there guidelines, rules, permits and regulations to building a smoker for restaurant usage? Where do I find such regulations and how do I get it approved?
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: RESTAURANT APPROVED HOMEMADE SMOKER

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:37 am

Please re-post your pictures. Your other post (with pictures) was removed as a duplicate post. Sorry the inconvenience.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
The Real McCoy
Pilgrim

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:13 am

I just now posted app. 10 pictures
Attachments
15951676587674911183947476335324.jpg
15951676274915606293253068545860.jpg
20200710_180557.jpg
20200711_125632.jpg
20200711_163455.jpg
20200711_200128.jpg
20200711_200123.jpg
20200715_200956.jpg
20200715_201025.jpg
20200715_203753.jpg
hogaboomer USER_AVATAR
hogaboomer
Rustler

Postby hogaboomer » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:54 am

That thing is nowhere near big enough for a restaurant.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Where will your restaurant be located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:06 pm

Best bet would be to contact your local health department that will be inspecting said restaurant for the most accurate info.
From your pictures, it looks like a center firebox feeding 2 whiskey barrels. They may want stainless piping instead of the galvanized even though there is no direct food contact. I would think the barrels would be ok again, no direct food contact. They may want stainless steel grates. I’d definitely talk to them before getting any deeper and have to rework things.

The Real McCoy
Pilgrim

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:48 pm

hogaboomer wrote:That thing is nowhere near big enough for a restaurant.

It will hold 20 butts. 20 butts is a lot of bbq.
The Real McCoy
Pilgrim

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:56 pm

Thanks. The piping from firebox to barrels is stainless. Exhaust is galvanized. Contacting health department is what I will do. I have been using an Oklahoma Joe's smoker for several years for my restaurant and it does not have any stainless steel.
The Real McCoy
Pilgrim

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:58 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Where will your restaurant be located? Matewan WV. Stompin grounds of Hatfields McCoys

hogaboomer USER_AVATAR
hogaboomer
Rustler

Postby hogaboomer » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:25 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:
hogaboomer wrote:That thing is nowhere near big enough for a restaurant.

It will hold 20 butts. 20 butts is a lot of bbq.

I apologize. I didn't realize the barrels were part of the system, the sideways pics throw me off. :cheers:
The Real McCoy
Pilgrim

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:41 pm

strength_and_pow wrote:Best bet would be to contact your local health department that will be inspecting said restaurant for the most accurate info.
From your pictures, it looks like a center firebox feeding 2 whiskey barrels. They may want stainless piping instead of the galvanized even though there is no direct food contact. I would think the barrels would be ok again, no direct food contact. They may want stainless steel grates. I’d definitely talk to them before getting any deeper and have to rework things.

Hopefully I can use the carbon steel grates instead of using stainless steel. I did a bit of research and found that some chefs prefer frying meat in carbon steel pans.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200719-232937_Chrome.jpg
The Real McCoy
Pilgrim

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:47 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:
strength_and_pow wrote:Best bet would be to contact your local health department that will be inspecting said restaurant for the most accurate info.

Hopefully I can use the carbon steel grates instead of using stainless steel. I did a bit of research and found that some chefs prefer frying meat in carbon steel pans.
The Real McCoy wrote:

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:25 am

The Real McCoy wrote:Thanks. The piping from firebox to barrels is stainless. Exhaust is galvanized. Contacting health department is what I will do. I have been using an Oklahoma Joe's smoker for several years for my restaurant and it does not have any stainless steel.

I am confused here.
You have been using an Oklahoma Joe for your restaurant for several years why the concern over this unit?
Are you changing locations?
Moving the cooker to an indoor area?
Been cooking from a food trailer and now moving to a fixed location?
I personally need more to go on before saying what the Local HD may or may not require.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
The Real McCoy
Pilgrim

Postby The Real McCoy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:10 pm

I'm building a new and much larger smoker than my Oklahoma Joe. My new smoker will hold 20 butts and look similar to a moonshine still when complete. My Oklahoma Joe smoker is not big enough anymore. The basic Oklahoma Joe smoker burns the meat nearest the firebox when fully loaded with butts. I smoke 15 to 20 butts a week with Hope's to do more. Not sure if I understand your question.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:39 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:I'm building a new and much larger smoker than my Oklahoma Joe. My new smoker will hold 20 butts and look similar to a moonshine still when complete. My Oklahoma Joe smoker is not big enough anymore. The basic Oklahoma Joe smoker burns the meat nearest the firebox when fully loaded with butts. I smoke 15 to 20 butts a week with Hope's to do more. Not sure if I understand your question.

This is your original post:
Are there guidelines, rules, permits and regulations to building a smoker for restaurant usage? Where do I find such regulations and how do I get it approved?
In your reply to another post you wrote:
I have been using an Oklahoma Joe's smoker for several years for my restaurant and it does not have any stainless steel.
I am trying to figure out why you are asking if there are health guidelines for what your wanting to use when you are currently using an Oklahoma Joe. If I am to guess you want to know if a home made cooker will suffice over a store bought one. If the home made cooker is located where the Oklahoma Joe was I would say you are probably golden but if you are moving it to an enclosed area the local HD is going to want a proper air ventilation system and a few other things for safety. The carbon steel grates would or should not be an issue as I doubt your Oklahoma Joe has SS now.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”