My first Smoker.

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

OLDBEAR
Pilgrim

My first Smoker.

Postby OLDBEAR » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:45 am

I just acquired my first smoker. I bought it at an estate sale. I was wondering if anyone had ever seen this design before. Thanks in advance.
NS1 (2).jpg

NS2 (2).jpg
IMG_8700.jpg
IMG_8700.jpg (27.19 KiB) Viewed 5275 times
Last edited by OLDBEAR on Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: My first Smoker.

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:15 am

Howdy and Welcome, OLDBEAR, I am fixing your Pics for you and will post them up shortly in proper vertical position. Only thing that was wrong was that they were too large which causes them to show improperly. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:20 am

OOPS - - - "my bad" - - can you post the pic of the smoker OPEN again - - - I ran to get the phone and lost your original that I was reducing. :banghead: We'll git'er done soon :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:24 am

Welcome and I like the looks of that smoker
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:39 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:OOPS - - - "my bad" - - can you post the pic of the smoker OPEN again - - - I ran to get the phone and lost your original that I was reducing. :banghead: We'll git'er done soon :salut:

HERE YA GO - - - sorry bout the delay and Welcome again to the Forum :tup: :salut: :texas:
OLDBEAR
Pilgrim

Postby OLDBEAR » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:33 pm

Thanks OldUsedParts. I was looking for a forum to learn from and see what other Texans are doing as far as backyard smokers and grills and such. My daughter found The Texas BBQ Forum for me. It looks like a good place. This smoker I bought looks to be well made as far as materials go. Someone spent quite a bit just getting the pieces bent. It was built using prints or someone was smoker engineer minded. :dont: I am a newb at smoking food so I could not say whether the design is good or bad. I bought it way cheaper than I could build one. I just need to learn how to use it. Thanks again.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:47 am

The Smoker looks good to me but there are a lot of members that are Experts and can give you some great advice and feedback on this one.
Don't know why but Friday's are "our" less active days so just hang in there and I'm sure KAM or one of the others will respond to this post.
:salut: :texas:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:03 am

Welcome aboard. Interesting looking smoker. It’s not exactly the same but look up info and maybe even YouTube videos on the Johnson T-pit. They also have the firebox below the cook chamber. Might give you some insight on how it should operate. Can’t wait to see some cool pics off of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OLDBEAR
Pilgrim

Postby OLDBEAR » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:48 am

Thanks bsooner75. Yes the Johnson T-pit company could very well be the fabricator of this smoker I bought. The first thing I notice on the one I purchased is it probably needs a bigger vent/stack. The chamber is 30" X 27" and the vent is 3 3/4" X 1 3/4". The lid does not seal well but can probably be used as is.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”