Need help tuning my reverse flow

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bonehunts USER_AVATAR
bonehunts
Wrangler

Need help tuning my reverse flow

Postby bonehunts » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:43 pm

Okay, I got this reverse flow years ago that an FFA team welded up. I've used it quite a bit over the years but I've GOT to do something about the uneven temps in the middle of the pit. As you can imagine, it's hot near the fire box and it's hot where it makes the turn (both ends) but significantly cooler in the middle.
Before I go cutting the plate out, is there a reasonable approach I should undertake? I had one guy tell me to drill holes but I don't want to start that until I get a primer on what I'm doing.

Another idea he threw out was to add some sort of baffle via a cookie sheet underneath the plate to try and deflect some heat to the middle.

The cooking chamber is 5'x2' and the plate is 4' (1/4" plate). The plate is welded via a solid bead down each side so know smoke enters except around the end.
7C04F8A3-ADA4-450B-8A89-1D3F0D0DFE26_1_105_c.jpeg
1B06509E-8EEE-42F9-BD61-9FEA33F6042D_1_105_c.jpeg

I'm all ears...
And I'm in NE Dallas in case someone's really handy and wants to come over and work on it with me! :lol:
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Re: Need help tuning my reverse flow

Postby strength_and_pow » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:11 pm

I don’t have a good answer, suggestion or even a smartass remark. Yet.
The first thing I would suggest is to measure the firebox, cook chamber, fire to cook chamber opening, exhaust etc and plug them into one of the online pit building calculators to get an idea if it’s in the ballpark. Calculate both ways, cook chamber dimensions to get firebox size and firebox size to get cook chamber size. This should give you an idea where to start looking.
I’m in North Dallas/Addison area with a full array of metal working tools, DM me if you need a hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:42 pm

My suggestion would be to cut out a section in the middle - perhaps 8" wide by the width of the pit. This could then be used as an adjustable tuning plate similar to non-RF pits. Simply slide the plate to adjust the opening to get the temp evened out. I think you'll be surprised on how little of an open you'll need. Good luck. :chef:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:31 am

By their nature what you have described is inherent to a reverse flow cooker. I need more pics of the cooker so that I can see a bigger picture of what you are dealing with before I suggest a strategy.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”