24" X 48" Horz. Smoker Questions?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

milton1allen
Pilgrim

24" X 48" Horz. Smoker Questions?

Postby milton1allen » Wed May 12, 2021 4:39 pm

I have a couple questions about racks and tuning plates in a 24" diameter smoker. Question 1??? How much clearance is optimal between the lower cooking racks and the upper cooking racks? I have a layout designed for a smoker build and have about 5 1/2" clearance between the racks. Is this enough clearance? If I move the upper rack up any more I am afraid I will be too close to the top of my pit. Question 2??? How far below the lower cooking racks should the tuning plates be? Thanks for advise in advance.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: 24" X 48" Horz. Smoker Questions?

Postby k.a.m. » Fri May 14, 2021 10:11 am

milton1allen wrote:I have a couple questions about racks and tuning plates in a 24" diameter smoker. Question 1??? How much clearance is optimal between the lower cooking racks and the upper cooking racks? I have a layout designed for a smoker build and have about 5 1/2" clearance between the racks. Is this enough clearance? If I move the upper rack up any more I am afraid I will be too close to the top of my pit. Question 2??? How far below the lower cooking racks should the tuning plates be? Thanks for advise in advance.

On my 24" x 55" I built The grates are 6" apart top to top, my tuning plates are 6" below the top of the lower grate
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”