Advice For 250 Smoker Build

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

everydaydiesel USER_AVATAR
EverydayDiesel
Pilgrim

Re: Advice For 250 Smoker Build

Postby EverydayDiesel » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:25 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
EverydayDiesel wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:How do you plan on doing your intakes? I noticed you have 22" long and 3.25" tall how are you going to control the opening?

I was just using that for the square inches basically. I will cut some shapes low and towards the door of the fire box. I plan on doing double the vent area (72sqin on the left and 72sqin on the right of the FB) so I have the option to use either side if the wind is acting up that day

If it were me I would go 6" tall and split my fire grate as I like air moving below and above my coal base. You can always have way more intake than specified but it is hard to get air if you do not have the opening.

Thank you so much for the help. How far should I raise the fire basket from the bottom of the firebox? The 6" referenced above makes me think 3"? Also should I do a v shaped or flat fire basket?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:07 am

EverydayDiesel wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:
EverydayDiesel wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:How do you plan on doing your intakes? I noticed you have 22" long and 3.25" tall how are you going to control the opening?

I was just using that for the square inches basically. I will cut some shapes low and towards the door of the fire box. I plan on doing double the vent area (72sqin on the left and 72sqin on the right of the FB) so I have the option to use either side if the wind is acting up that day

If it were me I would go 6" tall and split my fire grate as I like air moving below and above my coal base. You can always have way more intake than specified but it is hard to get air if you do not have the opening.

Thank you so much for the help. How far should I raise the fire basket from the bottom of the firebox? The 6" referenced above makes me think 3"? Also should I do a v shaped or flat fire basket?

Yes 3" above the floor is what I do.
Yes I would do a Vee shaped basket. My Vee's are removable in case I want to use the whole basket.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:28 am

KAM- Thank You for taking the time to help Folks and share your expertise. You are a HUGE ASSET to TBBQF
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:57 pm

Rambo wrote:KAM- Thank You for taking the time to help Folks and share your expertise. You are a HUGE ASSET to TBBQF

Thank you Rambo I appreciate it. I love seeing members cooker projects come to life and work.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
EverydayDiesel
Pilgrim

Postby EverydayDiesel » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:02 pm

I do greatly appreciate the advice. I am designing the firebox which has really opened up a lot of questions.

Does cooking come from the smoke or does it come from the heat of the firebox?

There are 2 ways that I can design this.
1. Only the outer portion of the 'orange' section below would be covered. This means that the only space between the cook chamber and the firebox would be a single sheet of quarter which would raise internal heat but not provide any more smoke.

2. This one has the same amount of insulation all the way around the firebox. This means that the cook chamber would be cooler with the same amount of wood creating what I think is more smoke?

Which one of these is typical and/or a better design?

Thanks again for helping me
Last edited by EverydayDiesel on Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:54 pm

I like to call it cooking with heat/smoke.
The coal base heats up the chamber creating a draft, the more heat the more draft. You control your heat with your intake. Reduce the intake slow the draft the cooker cools down.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
EverydayDiesel
Pilgrim

Postby EverydayDiesel » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:30 pm

k.a.m. wrote:I like to call it cooking with heat/smoke.
The coal base heats up the chamber creating a draft, the more heat the more draft. You control your heat with your intake. Reduce the intake slow the draft the cooker cools down.

So do you recommend insulation on all sides like design 2 above or is just a single baffle better (like design 1). It sounds to me like it is better to insulate on all sides based on your response.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:35 pm

The top and the forward side next to the chamber take the brunt of the heat. If I were insulating I would do every side.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
EverydayDiesel
Pilgrim

Postby EverydayDiesel » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:47 pm

Thank you for the help. Using feldons calc, you mentioned that you like to run 125% firebox which I am doing. When you go down to the chimney size which is based off of the firebox size.

Do you do the chimney calculation based on 100% fb or 125% fb?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:43 am

EverydayDiesel wrote:Thank you for the help. Using feldons calc, you mentioned that you like to run 125% firebox which I am doing. When you go down to the chimney size which is based off of the firebox size.

Do you do the chimney calculation based on 100% fb or 125% fb?

There is about an 8" difference in the two on your build. A 6" ID exhaust 36" long will work fine.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
EverydayDiesel
Pilgrim

Postby EverydayDiesel » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:33 am

Thanks again. I was reading on some other threads where people were recommending a larger throat opening between the CC and the FB.

I would like to get your thoughts on this since earlier you were talking about using the dampners to control the air flow into the FB
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:45 am

EverydayDiesel wrote:Thanks again. I was reading on some other threads where people were recommending a larger throat opening between the CC and the FB.

I would like to get your thoughts on this since earlier you were talking about using the dampners to control the air flow into the FB

I have never seen a need to increase the size of the throat for cooking purposes. I will increase it to compensate for my grease bridge but that is only about 6 to 10 square inches.
The thing you have to remember is everyone has their own way of cooking and what they feel is correct. Building the cooker is just one part of the equation. Once built you need to learn how to use it trough proper fire management.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
EverydayDiesel
Pilgrim

Postby EverydayDiesel » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:35 am

I am doing the throat opening based on 100% firebox (154.05 cu/in) and not the125% firebox (194.37 cu/in)

http://feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator. ... .25,194.37

Here is the 154cu/in opening. Would a different shape be better?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:46 am

That shape is perfectly fine.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”