Firebox Size to Cooking Chamber Volume

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

flexster
Pilgrim

Firebox Size to Cooking Chamber Volume

Postby flexster » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:25 am

I'm interesting is purchasing one of LSG's 20" series offsets cookers, and need to know if a 20"x20"x18" firebox is better suited for 20"x36" smoker with a cooking chamber volume of 1395 sq/in or a 20"x42" smoker with a cooking chamber volume of 1611 sq./in. Both cookers use the 20"x20"x18" firebox? I look forward to your comments as I feel y'all know much more about this than I do. Thanks!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Firebox Size to Cooking Chamber Volume

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:34 am

Did you not get the one that was supposed to be delivered this month? This sounds like the same cooker you messaged me about back in July.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
flexster
Pilgrim

Postby flexster » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:02 am

I have a LSG 20x42 on order but am on the fence about switching to the 36" wide one. We are empty nesters and only cook for us and at times a few neighbors. I'm thinking the 42" is too big and the 36" would fit better in my garage. Any thoughts! Just wanted to make sure the fire box is big enough for both size cookers. From my brief research is appears LSG has done their homework.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:59 am

flexster wrote:I have a LSG 20x42 on order but am on the fence about switching to the 36" wide one. We are empty nesters and only cook for us and at times a few neighbors. I'm thinking the 42" is too big and the 36" would fit better in my garage. Any thoughts! Just wanted to make sure the fire box is big enough for both size cookers. From my brief research is appears LSG has done their homework.

I have a 20x42 but have a family of four and like to cook meat to vac seal and freeze etc. get whatever size best fits your needs. LSG has definitely done their homework. These are great smokers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:09 am

flexster wrote:I have a LSG 20x42 on order but am on the fence about switching to the 36" wide one. We are empty nesters and only cook for us and at times a few neighbors. I'm thinking the 42" is too big and the 36" would fit better in my garage. Any thoughts! Just wanted to make sure the fire box is big enough for both size cookers. From my brief research is appears LSG has done their homework.

I have always operated and been of the opinion that it is better to have the extra space and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The size difference isn't going to change your fuel consumption any. And the smoker is more important than the garage.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:11 am

I would say you answered your own question.
The 36" seems to be a better fit both in cooking and storage. The firebox will work great on the 36" model.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:12 am

GRailsback wrote:

I have always operated and been of the opinion that it is better to have the extra space and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The size difference isn't going to change your fuel consumption any. And the smoker is more important than the garage.

I do like the way you think Greg :laughing7:

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”