homemade pit / bbq

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

als427
Pilgrim

homemade pit / bbq

Postby als427 » Mon May 30, 2022 10:57 am

Hi all im over in the Uk
Ive had moderate success and failure with OKJ offset smoker. Recently tried low and slow pork rills on a regular bbq ( not offset) with great results.
3-4 hours pork ribs over a few coals around 225f.
with that I want too build a home are pit , I can see people make them out of hollow cinder blocks but in the uk the cost is prohibitive.
I do have access to solid blocks but they would need mortaring together and I want to be able to move it. SO...:
It also occurred to me I could make a bbq pit ( not an offset smoker) for low slow bbq grilling etc using an old large truck tool box.please see pictures.
box is about 2' x 2' x 4' plenty for me and I think the grill height would be fine , way more than I had the other day
Any issues with this ? Anyone else done this and any recommendations? opening sizes for coal shovelling in , lining the interior with blocks / firebricks / adding smoke stack? anything else ? all info , opinions and experience welcome
presuming the paint is not an issue as its powder coated - no different to a normal bbq thats painted?
thanks all
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 10.44.28.jpg
Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 10.44.19.jpg
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: homemade pit / bbq

Postby Rambo » Mon May 30, 2022 12:13 pm

Welcome to TBBQF: there are some knowledgeable pit builders here that hopefully see your post and offer an opinion
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Mon May 30, 2022 1:23 pm

If it’s powder coated you can’t cook with it. Even a residential oven once used to powder coat shouldn’t be use for food again. The box idea is good just need to stay away from the powder coated units.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 30, 2022 2:57 pm

I also put "THIS POST" in the Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit and Pit Modifications Thread - - - now it can be seen in both. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”