Homemade smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Jansonbbq
Pilgrim

Homemade smoker

Postby Jansonbbq » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:59 pm

New to the forum here. I bought this whole setup from a person for $600 as I think it was well worth the price. It’s a 250 gallon propane tank with 1/4 in thick walls and door. It was originally a propane, then they added the firebox to the back with 3 stacks on left right and center. Never seen this design. I have a few stick burner offsets, yet, have never seen a stick burner like this. If it doesn’t work, I hope to modify it to my likings, however, I would like to try it out. Do you guys think it’ll work good, or was it a waste and require lots of modifications? Any knowledgeable reply would be appreciated, thanks.
Attachments
6EEFE707-9732-46A0-A6DE-DCB9D6B0CE8D.jpeg
5726D0FB-D216-4578-9AE0-B4FF8B402ED7.jpeg
88D552A4-9709-4960-9310-D5F48CAEC9A2.jpeg
B9E8913A-18CE-4982-A0A5-3B0819649F0B.jpeg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Homemade smoker

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:24 pm

I've never done any stick burning but there are several members here that are "avid" in the System and I'll just bet they give you an approval rating on this purchase. Once you tweek it to your specs it should be a well invested Pit. :tup: :wav: :chef: :cheers: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:25 pm

"OH !" WELCOME TO THE FORUM !
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Jansonbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Jansonbbq » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:48 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I've never done any stick burning but there are several members here that are "avid" in the System and I'll just bet they give you an approval rating on this purchase. Once you tweek it to your specs it should be a well invested Pit. :tup: :wav: :chef: :cheers: :salut:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jansonbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Jansonbbq » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:48 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:"OH !" WELCOME TO THE FORUM !

Thanks so much!

Jansonbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Jansonbbq » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:49 pm

Thank you!

Jansonbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Jansonbbq » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:51 pm

Thank you!
Jansonbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Jansonbbq » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:57 pm

Thank you

Last edited by Rambo on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Duplicate
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:35 pm

The trailer is worth a couple of hundred bucks by itself. We have some members here that can critique the design in a positive way if they catch the thread. Looks good to me. I’ve got an old, old, Lyfetyme
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:50 am

If it was mine, I would remove the stacks and the pipe from the firebox and weld a cover for the holes. Then I would make it into a traditional stick burner with the firebox on one end and a big stack on the other. It has great bones, and could turn into something really nice. I am not sure how it gets enough heat/smoke from the little pipe coming out of the firebox to the pit. Just my thoughts. I am sure KAM will tell you the real scoop. You have a great start to a great pit. Congrats.
Bockbock
Dillo Q
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:16 am

The design is somewhat based off of a Diamond plate from years past.
Does the chamber have a deflector shield above the connecting pipes?
Being partial to mechanical weights on the doors I love them!
Before I made any mods I would fire it up with a nice coal base and see what the actual grate temps are plus how much fuel does it eat in its current set up.
Once the tests are done then you can figure out what mods if any need to be done.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Jansonbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Jansonbbq » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:50 am

k.a.m. wrote:The design is somewhat based off of a Diamond plate from years past.
Before I made any mods I would fire it up with a nice coal base and see what the actual grate temps are plus how much fuel does it eat in its current set up.
Once the tests are done then you can figure out what mods if any need to be done.

Thank you. And I’m not sure about deflector shield to be honest. I’ll check it out. I also need to get an infrared thermometer to check the grate temp, right?
Appreciate the reply

Jansonbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Jansonbbq » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:51 am

Bockbock wrote:If it was mine, I would remove the stacks and the pipe from the firebox and weld a cover for the holes. Then I would make it into a traditional stick burner with the firebox on one end and a big stack on the other. It has great bones, and could turn into something really nice. I am not sure how it gets enough heat/smoke from the little pipe coming out of the firebox to the pit. Just my thoughts. I am sure KAM will tell you the real scoop. You have a great start to a great pit. Congrats.

Thanks for the reply. That’s what I was thinking about to make it a traditional offset, but would like to try it out to see first. And it has 2 pipes coming out of the firebox, maybe that’ll help me produce more heat.

Jansonbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Jansonbbq » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:52 am

Rambo wrote:The trailer is worth a couple of hundred bucks by itself. We have some members here that can critique the design in a positive way if they catch the thread. Looks good to me. I’ve got an old, old, Lyfetyme

Thank you.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:10 am

Jansonbbq wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:The design is somewhat based off of a Diamond plate from years past.

Thank you. And I’m not sure about deflector shield to be honest. I’ll check it out. I also need to get an infrared thermometer to check the grate temp, right?
Appreciate the reply

I would use digital thermometers with air probes so that I could watch the temps without opening the doors.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”