Looking to buy a decent smoker with offset firebox

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Smag
Pilgrim

Looking to buy a decent smoker with offset firebox

Postby Smag » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:15 am

Hello, I'm new to the forum, and to smoking. I have grilled for many years, and now I'm looking to start smoking—chickens, turkey, brisket, homemade sausage, peppers. But first I need to find a smoker for sale. I live in Austin, Texas.

I'm looking at the Yoder Cheyenne (http://www.yodersmokers.com/cheyenne.html) whose barrel is 16" diameter and 36.5" long, but would really love to find something like that for sale used in Austin, or nearby. I like the Cheyenne because it is 1/4 inch steel, and converts easily to grilling (I expect I'll continue to grill on the weekdays), and with those big wheels I could roll it into the garage when I'm not using it (smaller wheels would just sink into the dirt here). I'd love to buy a larger smoker, but alas, my wife looked like she was going to have a migraine when I started to explain the cost-benefit analysis to her.

I've been pouring over Craigslist, and there are some good possibilities, but I thought this forum would have some great leads on used steel smokers with offset fireboxes. Also, what's the consensus on the Yoders smokers?
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Re: Looking to buy a decent smoker with offset firebox

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:48 am

P/M sent.....

:thap:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
jerodpb
Bandolero

Postby jerodpb » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:56 pm

on any offset for sale I would really check out the firebox, first thing to go....
Pit Barrel Cooker Fanatic
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Have you checked the old country smokers at Academy? For the money they are build pretty nice.
If you're looking in the $8-900 that the yoder sells for, look over at gator pits. Or craigslist Houston. Lots of pit builders out there.
Smag
Pilgrim

Postby Smag » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:59 pm

TXLNGHRN wrote:Have you checked the old country smokers at Academy? For the money they are build pretty nice.
If you're looking in the $8-900 that the yoder sells for, look over at gator pits. Or craigslist Houston. Lots of pit builders out there.

I did look at the Old Country smokers at Academy. They look pretty good—in fact, seeing those smokers at Academy is what got me thinking about getting a smoker. I am hoping to find something used, so I can save some money on the smoker, and on taxes and shipping.
cutt USER_AVATAR
cutt
Pilgrim

Postby cutt » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Id try craigslist..good luck
Smag
Pilgrim

Postby Smag » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:46 pm

jerodpb wrote:on any offset for sale I would really check out the firebox, first thing to go....

Thanks. That's good advice. I will be sure to inspect the firebox closely.
Wtxsmoker
Wrangler

Postby Wtxsmoker » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:01 pm

I have a old country angus smoker originally 1,499.99 I would let go for $800.
I live in Lubbock and am planning to build a outdoor kitchen and go to a vertical BWS. Need to get rid of the smoker. Three years old repainted every year and not all rusted out. Seasoned with hickory.
Smag
Pilgrim

Postby Smag » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:55 pm

Wtxsmoker wrote:I have a old country angus smoker originally 1,499.99 I would let go for $800.
I live in Lubbock and am planning to build a outdoor kitchen and go to a vertical BWS. Need to get rid of the smoker. Three years old repainted every year and not all rusted out. Seasoned with hickory.

Thanks for letting me know. That sounds like a nice smoker. I'm officially off the market now. Today I bought and shipped a custom-built smoker. I wish I knew how to attach an image here. The cooking barrel is 16X36 inches, and the firebox is 22 X 21 X 17. Here are the dimensions in the Smoker Airflow Calculator from Heaven:
Link to BBQ Pit Calculator

Do more experienced smokers think anything needs to be adjusted? It's got a giant firebox for the barrel. But the vent is not adjustable, and no drain.

I guess I'll try smoking soon, and we'll see how it works.

Stefan in South Austin
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Smag, in my opinion the firebox is way to big but will work. Just learn to keep your fire small and hot with a good coal base. Just because your firebox is big does not mean you need a big fire that will be the hardest thing to master.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Smag
Pilgrim

Postby Smag » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:05 pm

k.a.m. wrote:Smag, in my opinion the firebox is way to big but will work. Just learn to keep your fire small and hot with a good coal base. Just because your firebox is big does not mean you need a big fire that will be the hardest thing to master.

Thanks for the advice. The firebox is oversized, but I suppose it won't hurt anything as long I don't build a bonfire. I'm going to try it out next weekend (I still need to get some wood). Learning how to position the wood is going to be trial-and-error. I guess I'll try pointing the ends of the wood towards a charcoal heap in the center, so it burns outward.

I'll search around on YouTube for some videos about starting and maintaining the firebox, and will post some vids here, if they seem good.
grillguru USER_AVATAR
GrillGuru
Pilgrim

Postby GrillGuru » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:37 pm

To me, it depends on what you're planning on using for fuel. I have a UDS and a Keg and both of them are pretty much hands off but I only use charcoal or lump in them. My Jambo may be hands off if I used lump or charcoal for fuel but so far I have only used wood in it. Wood burning pits require a bit more tending. Check here if you're looking for something special connected with offset smokers!
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”