Just starting my research on offsets

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Just starting my research on offsets

Postby GRailsback » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:37 pm

How does that pit cook? I have seen a guy up there that advertises a lot on craigslist building pits up there in Onalaska.
dummble
Pilgrim

Postby dummble » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:52 pm

That's them. I love it. I am super happy with the size. If drafts really well, The 1/4 thick steel keeps it from temp swings. The fit and finish are very acceptable. The size of the firebox makes it easy to control temp with the size and location of the fire rather than choking it down. I had been dreaming about an offset smoker for years and after reading Franklins book I think I was pushed over the edge. I contacted a lot of builders and Donald seemed to get what I wanted and the time frame was in reason. I sat down with him and we modified one of his standard designs to my request. The do small pits to huge huge pits. Standalone and trailer. They do adjustable dampers, tuning plates, reverse flow, warming boxes, holes and racks, round and square, thin, thick, anything you want. The rub is that you need to get to Onalaska to finalize the design and give him your deposit. Then you will need to pick it up. Mine weighed north of 600lbs. So if do not live near and do not have access to a trailer, then it would be tough to use them. Outhouse Pitt on facebook
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:12 pm

I am finding stuff on 3 or 4 but not everything I want on one in my price range. The search continues. I have an old friend that welds. I my ask him about a build.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:27 pm

B.C. my son found a local friend/welder - - - but he swapped some drum lessons for the Welder's Son for an awesome heavy duty offset - - - however, if you're like me, you ain't got nuttin worth trading :laughing7: :lol: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
TXBBQ4ME
Pilgrim

Postby TXBBQ4ME » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:48 pm

bobcat1 wrote:So far I am liking the Lonestar Grillz 24 X 40 Offset. 2nd would be the Klose 24 X 42. Are these too big for what I need to do? They are higher than a tree too. Anything else I should be considering... maybe cheaper??

Did you ever get one? I have been looking at the 20X42, the newer offset that Lonestar Grillz came out with. Supposedly temps are pretty stable without a baffle.
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:37 pm

TXBBQ4ME wrote:
bobcat1 wrote:So far I am liking the Lonestar Grillz 24 X 40 Offset. 2nd would be the Klose 24 X 42. Are these too big for what I need to do? They are higher than a tree too. Anything else I should be considering... maybe cheaper??

Did you ever get one? I have been looking at the 20X42, the newer offset that Lonestar Grillz came out with. Supposedly temps are pretty stable without a baffle.

Not yet but I like that one too. Let me know if you get one.
BBQGrillsAndSmokers
Pilgrim

Postby BBQGrillsAndSmokers » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:26 pm

dummble wrote:I had mine made on Onalaska, TX. It was half the price LSG.

24x42,24x24 firebox, 6" stack, 2 racks, adjustable damper and some other requests off their stadard

Looks like a real bad boy.

Also, these option may be a bit on the pricey side, but I had great experience with lone star grillz. You can check offsets here - https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/smokers
Just a regular guy learning and teaching how to have a proper barbecue party

BBQ Grill and Smoker Reviews
grillguru USER_AVATAR
GrillGuru
Pilgrim

Postby GrillGuru » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:34 pm

I have the Smoke Hollow 44241G2. I have never really wished I had more space. It does have the same challenges as most other off-sets, hotter near the firebox, cooler away. Not really a big deal though.
Still make great food, couldn't cook for a party of 40, but the quality is good, and it's solid and thick steel.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Texan79423
Wrangler

Postby Texan79423 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:32 pm

Google Rockin' W pits out of Euless. Quality
pit.png
marvda1
Wrangler

Postby marvda1 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Rockin W Smokers is in Boyd Tx now.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”