DFW Smokers

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

DFWBand
Pilgrim

DFW Smokers

Postby DFWBand » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:36 pm

In the market for an offset smoker as I’ve just bought a house and this is obviously the first order of business. Anybody have any recommendations in the DFW area?
marvda1
Wrangler

Re: DFW Smokers

Postby marvda1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:22 am

what's your budget?
DFWBand
Pilgrim

Postby DFWBand » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:29 am

Around 1K
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:37 am

In addition to budget, what are you going to be cooking? How many people will you be trying to feed in one sitting? Do you have he ability to store the unit indoors or will it be left out in the elements? Is this a new venture or are you experienced with this style of cooking? Seems like a lot of questions but each answer will lead you more towards the best unit for you. All smokers have their inherent pros and cons. For some the tending the fire and making adjustments on the fly is what they enjoy. For others the end product is all that matters, so a set-it and forget-it style smoker is a better option.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:06 am

No personal experience but I’ve been watching this guy post pics on social media and the look really nice.

https://www.bigphilssmokers.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DFWBand
Pilgrim

Postby DFWBand » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:04 am

GTR wrote:In addition to budget, what are you going to be cooking? How many people will you be trying to feed in one sitting? Do you have he ability to store the unit indoors or will it be left out in the elements? Is this a new venture or are you experienced with this style of cooking? Seems like a lot of questions but each answer will lead you more towards the best unit for you. All smokers have their inherent pros and cons. For some the tending the fire and making adjustments on the fly is what they enjoy. For others the end product is all that matters, so a set-it and forget-it style smoker is a better option.

I will be cooking anything from brisket, tenderloin, burgers, steaks, and vegetables. I will feed anywhere from 1-10. I will not have the ability to store indoors, but I will definitely keep it covered. I am leaning towards an offset smoker as that is what I learned off of. Hope this specifies things. I've googled so much and haven't had much luck finding a good grill. I've been told to look for thickness.
verapx
Pilgrim

Postby verapx » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:58 am

Might go to a Buc-ees and look at the Old Country Brazos deluxe. I think they’re around $1200. The Brazos around $1000. Those Bigphilsmokers look good for the money also.
DFWBand
Pilgrim

Postby DFWBand » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:01 pm

verapx wrote:Might go to a Buc-ees and look at the Old Country Brazos deluxe. I think they’re around $1200. The Brazos around $1000. Those Bigphilsmokers look good for the money also.

Just watched a video review of it, seems pretty great after a few adjustments!
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:38 am

DFWBand wrote:
verapx wrote:Might go to a Buc-ees and look at the Old Country Brazos deluxe. I think they’re around $1200. The Brazos around $1000. Those Bigphilsmokers look good for the money also.

Just watched a video review of it, seems pretty great after a few adjustments!

There is a brand new Buc ee’s in Melissa, on east side of US 75 a little north of McKinney, on Buc ee’s Boulevard (no foolin, that’s what the citizens of Melissa named the street), just north of the SH 121 split off.

Old Tyme probably in that budget too. And check out any decent academy sports, they carry some pretty decent hard steel smokers, both as vertical rib boxes and horizontal offsets for under $1000.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”