Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: Batavia smoker/grill

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:55 am

Boots wrote:
Great photo! I envy the hilltop view.

That Batavia looks to me like a very creative and elegant version of our UDS here in the states. Reminds me of a guy that used to frequent this blog named BluDawg. He was the king of the UDS cookers and did a nice job but at some point fell off the radar. He really had an extensive knowledge of this kind of thing.

The other expert that might be good on this is a guy name Big Ed, Who I actually met at a cook off here in McKinney a few years ago. Guy was a stone cold expert on UDS, and had won several competitions hear about as a one-man operation with a little bit of help and added class from his bride. Very nice guy.If you could ever reach him on a p.m., he would be a great knowledge source for this kind of cooker.

Thanks, Boots,

It sure looks like an uds. Probably works like one too. One great thing is that you can stack the three sections inside each other for storing or transportation. In that way it's only one section high and with all the other stuff inside.

Great to get info on experts. Appreciate it. I guess I will have to do some more cooking on it before I know potential problems or which modifications that needs to be done. In that way I also know what to ask.

Worked pretty well yesterday. Only thing is that there should probably be some more holes in the coal basket. Needed to blow some air in there from time to time to keep the temperature from dropping. Not a big problem when you're around but it is if it has to let alone for a few hours.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:41 am

Common issue for all can cookers. Did a kosher competition a few years ago, and they provided weber smoky mountains. Great cookers, but very sensitive on airflow and fuel maintenance. The other issue is that 16-18 gauge steel is affected by ambient air temperatures quickly. So for our competition, we had a warm day, cold night, warm day situation and it really kept me on my toes. Some guys over here buy water heater blankets as a means of studying temperature and heat retention.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:26 am

Boots wrote:Common issue for all can cookers. Did a kosher competition a few years ago, and they provided weber smoky mountains. Great cookers, but very sensitive on airflow and fuel maintenance. The other issue is that 16-18 gauge steel is affected by ambient air temperatures quickly. So for our competition, we had a warm day, cold night, warm day situation and it really kept me on my toes. Some guys over here buy water heater blankets as a means of studying temperature and heat retention.
Interesting. I have a WSM at home and it feels more stable with temperatures than this one. I think a few mods to control the temperatures is needed for this one. Especially when it gets really cold. When I cooked now it was just below 20 f so not so very cold.

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:59 pm

I had to laugh, you said it not very cold just below 20 ….. yesterday the temperature here was 95 today in the upper 40's and we are cold.... :D :D
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:39 pm

spacetrucker wrote:I had to laugh, you said it not very cold just below 20 ….. yesterday the temperature here was 95 today in the upper 40's and we are cold.... :D :D
But that is a big drop from one day to another. I would probably feel cold too. You need a few days to adjust.

LOL. It's like in the spring after a long winter and the temperatures rice to the upper 40's. Warm in the sun but chilly in the shadows and still snow outside the streets. People here take on their sandals and shorts. 4 days and they are in their beds with a cold. They never learn.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”