% Wood Moisture Content for Offset Smoking

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: % Wood Moisture Content for Offset Smoking

Postby Chasdev » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:54 am

First rule of smoking is you have to burn the wood you have and yours is close to perfect so smoke away!
My personal preference is smoking wood made from trees that died or were cut down and then left to season au nautal.
Kiln drying seems to me anyway to lack the flavor profile that ageing provides.
As to closing down the air flow, there's monsters there matey.. good smoke flavor requires all the 02 the fire can get so try to burn with the intake and exhausts both wide open and control cook grate temps by using the least amount of fuel that will provide the cook temp you want.
After a few cooks you get a feel on when the next lump, chunk or stick needs to be added to the coals in order to maintain a running fire and yet not create too large a coal base to keep the temps in check.
thejsug
Pilgrim

Postby thejsug » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Chasdev wrote:First rule of smoking is you have to burn the wood you have and yours is close to perfect so smoke away!
My personal preference is smoking wood made from trees that died or were cut down and then left to season au nautal.
Kiln drying seems to me anyway to lack the flavor profile that ageing provides.
As to closing down the air flow, there's monsters there matey.. good smoke flavor requires all the 02 the fire can get so try to burn with the intake and exhausts both wide open and control cook grate temps by using the least amount of fuel that will provide the cook temp you want.
After a few cooks you get a feel on when the next lump, chunk or stick needs to be added to the coals in order to maintain a running fire and yet not create too large a coal base to keep the temps in check.

Always appreciate the tips man - thanks for that! Will give it a go when we have a dry day in England (some point within the next month hopefully, ha!)

Meanwhile I'll be back out myself in Austin soon (I've been coming out there 10 years for work, which is what got me hooked on bbq in the first place!!!). If you run a joint out there I'll have to swing by ;)
hogaboomer USER_AVATAR
hogaboomer
Rustler

Postby hogaboomer » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:59 am

Heat it up on the firebox as you go, it'll burn a lot better. I have a bunch of wood that's all 25% and higher. Starting to learn how to judge wood, if it looks all fresh and pretty, it ain't no good. If it's all grey and ratty looking, it is getting there.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:41 pm

Agree, the worst looking wood I ever used created the best tasting meat.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”