Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Looking To Purchase A Smoker

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:52 am

Good Pics and Good Job :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:36 pm

what I have done in past sessions, when I had the time to work with projects like this, was I cold smoked the sausage, (of coarse it was cured) remember for me the cold smoke is the use of the amazing tube smokers with pellets in them ignited. You can use hail screen to make your own, in a metal or some such fireproof container; then vacuum sealed and into the freezer until time to cook them. At cook time they were thawed and cooked on a charcoal fired grill, (Webber kettle) until internal of 160 to 170 degrees.
Hope this sparks some ideas for you.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
william o young USER_AVATAR
William O Young
Pilgrim

Postby William O Young » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:20 pm

spacetrucker wrote:what I have done in past sessions, when I had the time to work with projects like this, was I cold smoked the sausage, (of coarse it was cured) remember for me the cold smoke is the use of the amazing tube smokers with pellets in them ignited. You can use hail screen to make your own, in a metal or some such fireproof container; then vacuum sealed and into the freezer until time to cook them. At cook time they were thawed and cooked on a charcoal fired grill, (Webber kettle) until internal of 160 to 170 degrees.
Hope this sparks some ideas for you.

This sounds interesting and probably something that could be done in a colder climate like I am in now.You would not believe how many hours and hours I have researched smokers in amazon and elsewhere and every time I find something that looks suitable to me it is the number of bad reviews that turn me off like them coming all dented in and heat and smoke not able to get balanced tight etc. ettc. I have given up on ordering online and would probably only buy from where I can actually see them on a showroom floor but that won't be until probably next april or may around here.

So getting back to your suggestions . I would like some more info on the cold smoking aspect .I have seen some of those tubes you refer to on amazon .I assume they come empty and you need special food grade pellets to fill them rather than pellets used for home heating. Not sure where to buy those pellets .
Trying to understand your statement about "of course it was cured" sausage .Cured how ? The sausage I am trying to smoke is raw sausage right after making it or at least taken from the freezer and thawed first .
Also , in a metal or some sort of fireproof container ? ? , , I am wondering if my gas barbecue grill would work for that . But I don't understand how the pellets would keep burning without a heat source under them like when using metal boxes with chips in them .
Does the smoke penetrate the meat the same amount with cold smoking compared to hot smoking? ?
How long do you subject them to this method before figuring they are smoked enough ?
Yes , I do have a vacuum sealer and use it for a lot of things .
Sorry for so many questions . Great to get ideas from ones who have been there . . .done that . . .

EDIT . . . yes , a lot of questions and before I asked them I had not checked into it or any videos. I have now done that and that thing looks fantastic so the main thing I am asking now is what you meant about smoking "cured" sausage . Can raw sausage be done the same way ?
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:02 am

William O Young wrote:This sounds interesting and probably something that could be done in a colder climate like I am in now.You would not believe how many hours and hours I have researched smokers in amazon and elsewhere and every time I find something that looks suitable to me it is the number of bad reviews that turn me off like them coming all dented in and heat and smoke not able to get balanced tight etc. ettc. I have given up on ordering online and would probably only buy from where I can actually see them on a showroom floor but that won't be until probably next april or may around here.

So getting back to your suggestions . I would like some more info on the cold smoking aspect .I have seen some of those tubes you refer to on amazon .I assume they come empty and you need special food grade pellets to fill them rather than pellets used for home heating. Not sure where to buy those pellets .
Trying to understand your statement about "of course it was cured" sausage .Cured how ? The sausage I am trying to smoke is raw sausage right after making it or at least taken from the freezer and thawed first .
Also , in a metal or some sort of fireproof container ? ? , , I am wondering if my gas barbecue grill would work for that . But I don't understand how the pellets would keep burning without a heat source under them like when using metal boxes with chips in them .
Does the smoke penetrate the meat the same amount with cold smoking compared to hot smoking? ?
How long do you subject them to this method before figuring they are smoked enough ?
Yes , I do have a vacuum sealer and use it for a lot of things .
Sorry for so many questions . Great to get ideas from ones who have been there . . .done that . . .

EDIT . . . yes , a lot of questions and before I asked them I had not checked into it or any videos. I have now done that and that thing looks fantastic so the main thing I am asking now is what you meant about smoking "cured" sausage . Can raw sausage be done the same way ?

You have the benefit of me being home sick, so since BBQ is my passionate hobby.....
By cured I mean the sausage contains "pink salt" cure which I would have to dig back into my recipe files to give you an exact "dosage" per pound of meat, dont quote me on this but somewhere in the area of one teaspoon per 5 LBs of meat, I know folks on here especially PaPa Tom, are sausage gurus much better than me; so due your diligence to come up with the perfect amount, curing the meat, a topic of debate in most circles, some despise it some folks embrace it. Most sausage bought in the store considered ready to eat is cured, such as hot dogs, and the like; so due your search on this a let your conscience be your guide; I will add that curing prevents bacteria growth, the kind of bacteria that causes death. So you can see I am a fan of curing, I also make "fresh sausage" which I use as breakfast sausage for this the meat is never exposed to the danger temperature zone of above 40 degrees F. until it is cooked; this means the pork is near freezing from the beginning, the grinder is kept in the freezer before grinding the meat, the meat is seasoned prior to grinding, then the meat is stored back in the fridge until it is frozen in its serving size portions, or cooked. You can see by my methods I spend a lot of time being sanitary; I am an electronic Tech for the state of Texas, so in my two cell brain things are absolute.
Now to the pellets:
there are multiple sources stateside for those I would say in Canada there should be some food grade sources but not sure? the difference is the type of wood and the usage of pure wood, as in no glue or petroleum chemicals; that way the smoke produced is healthy for consumption. Next the heat is controlled by the small amount of pellets used to create the smoke. I lite a tube with a propane torch, the tube stands upright I lite the top then when burning good blow out the fire to allow the pellets to smolder.. This provides the smoke with minimum heat. I would venture to guess less than a pound of pellets will smoke several pounds of meat, or at least have in my situation in the past; My biggest problem is I stay too busy at work and doing service for others to pursue my most fun hobby; in a couple of years I will retire which should give me more time for this. You can do a google search for amazin smoke tubes and come up with several hits on the product. I load two or three of these then smoke my cured sausage which I hang in an old radio cabinet made of metal usually on a cold day in Texas, I have also smoked cheese in this cabinet which is all metal and fire proof; some folks use a cardboard box covering the essentials. I am not one of those as in my younger daze.... I was a volunteer fireman an saw lots of folks casual mistakes go up in smoke... I hope this helps you in your design for a smoker, there are lots of ways to get to where you seem to be looking to go; I like you have been stung by internet sales and normally dont spend $ until I can see and touch what I want to buy locally; then if it is available from an independent merchant I weigh the benefit of the price difference and normally support the local guy. I could ramble for ever on things about this; Hopefully this will give you some things to consider along your journey. do if you can research on this forum for papatom he is a wealth of knowledge on sausage and pellet fired pits; not sure as to his situation currently but he does frequent this forum and is a nice approachable guy.
ok a couple of my finds on the net, but all U.S. so you will have to evaluate the value or not? I have looked but not bought from the first one it still captivates my curiosity; I have bought from the second with the smoke tubes....
https://smokedaddyinc.com/product-categ ... d-smokers/
https://amazenproducts.com/smokers/amaz ... ker-12inch

and for bbq pellets do a google search for lumberjack bbq pellets Canada and check out your findings....
Best of Luck
Last edited by spacetrucker on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:05 am

ChefPointingUp.jpeg
ChefPointingUp.jpeg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 6341 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
william o young USER_AVATAR
William O Young
Pilgrim

Postby William O Young » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Spacetrucker . . .sorry to hear you are under the weather . Thanks for your informative reply .Much appreciated . I actually have that smoker tube arriving today along with a six pack of all different flavor one pond packages.I will be delighted if it works as advertised as well as in a few videos of ones using that system .
Predictions are for a cold snap here within a few days so I probably won't be firing up the grill until that passes but will be looking forward to it . In the meantime with a LOT of money I have saved by not getting a stand alone smoker I have ordered a digital thermometer and an accurate thermometer replacement for the cheap one that came on my grill from new last year .
Michel342
Pilgrim

Postby Michel342 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:26 am

I searched on google for the best offset smoker in cheap price. I got some brand that has good reviews from a real user. also, I used a Dyna-glo charcoal offset smoker for 3 years. you can buy from amazon, lowes, home depot or the nearest BBQ accessories Shop. :chef: :chef: :chef:
you can visit this for more information and buying guides for an offset smoker.
https://heatercamp.com/best-offset-smoker-under-1000/
tusker
Pilgrim

Postby tusker » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:51 pm

i just read this post for electric smoker or grill for steak and much more.
it would definiatly help you to choose. https://buyersjungle.com/best-electric-grills/

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”