Looking To Purchase A Smoker

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

william o young USER_AVATAR
William O Young
Pilgrim

Looking To Purchase A Smoker

Postby William O Young » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:10 am

I am contemplating buying this smoker on amazon .It is insulated which would be important for me living in Canada and it is also in my price range .Keep in mind that anything on amazon.com costs me about 35% extra in dollar exchange rate. .This is the only one I have been able to find that is insulated . Would like your ideas on it .Reviews look good apart from one person had the insulation go bad.I assume that was operator error from overheating it .

A question about smoking sausage . How many hours does it take to smoke sausages the diameter of bratwurst or italian . From what I have read I am guessing the heat would be around 200 degrees ? Once they are smoked , are they then edible or do they require further cooking apart from the smoking.

As you have guessed , this is a new venture for me and don't really want to put much more money into a suitable setup at this point . .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CN38M23/ref=psdc_553774_t1_B07NQLF9WD
William O Young
Pilgrim

Re: Looking To Purchase A Smoker

Postby William O Young » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:34 pm

Back again.
I was surprised to see 35 views and no responses but as a follow up I have spent endless hours reviewing a lot of makes and models of smokers and just when I think I have found something worthwhile I see a lot of negative reviews of all sorts .
So while looking at stand alone smokers I see quite a few of these smoker boxes that people are using on their propane gas grill like mine. I do have a very good 4 burner grill .
I am wondering if anyone here is familiar with how well they do or don't work. At such a low price a person sure wouldn't lose much for trying one .
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074ZQHSXX/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B074ZQHSXX&pd_rd_w=geQPH&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=XyByP&pf_rd_r=YY7TGWC0VTE4CMV97FT5&pd_rd_r=fa35be2e-08d4-46b3-bbbd-573bb80c5c73&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE0WEo1N0c3QzZKRk0mZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMzM4MzkxN1YwRlBHVTk3NlJYJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MDg4OTFROE9LVENCS1dGRkomd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:53 pm

William, maybe one of our sausage gurus will see it
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Also, traffic is a little slow this time of Year and the weather may also have something to do with it.
As Rambo mentioned, just hang in there and keep it bumped to the top occasionally and you should get some favorable responses.
Happy New Year and Happy Smoking :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:41 pm

BUMP :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:25 am

I don't know anything about that electric smoker but as I was viewing the links in your post my work buddy was looking over my shoulder and said he has that exact box that he uses in his Weber Genesis. He said he likes it anyway.
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:29 am

Going to check in here...
I have an electric cookshack, considerably more expensive than the amazon master built.
I was totally electric for several years and cooked smoked everything from almonds to Jalapeno peppers.
did it do a good job well pretty much yes, but I had to learn the tricks to cold smoking cheese and sausage, as with every cooker there are tricks to learn.
So depending on your depth of involvement in sausage smoking you can order or build some "smoke sticks" google them they can be a piece of hail screen to hold pellets and lit to smolder and make smoke with little or no heat to cause the meat to cook, thus producing cold smoked meat or sausage; these smoke sticks can be placed under a card board box in the most simple form... while allowing the meat to take the smoke flavor, an old oven or what ever you can find, I have smoked lots of cheese in an old metal cabinet with smoke sticks in the bottom, usually in the winter to take advantage of the cold weather, which you have plenty of and us not so much... One can use his imagination and come up with lots of methods to do what you are try to do, Just thinking out loud, Try reaching out to "papa Tom" on this forum for other expert sausage advice.... :mrgreen:
smoker.JPG
Attachments
smoking cheese.JPG
smokin cheese.JPG
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
William O Young
Pilgrim

Postby William O Young » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:33 pm

Thanks guys for the comments and spacetrucker , you have some pretty serious smoking equipment there .Thanks for the tips .
William O Young
Pilgrim

Postby William O Young » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:16 pm

This is short notice to expect replies but just in case before tomorrow morning . . . . . . . . . .
I was in the city today and bought these items .The cast iron one that sets on top and the stainless steel wedge one that goes under the rack.
We have a very mild spell right now and tomorrow supposed to be several degrees above freezing (5 degrees C)
I am going to put soaked chips in those containers and try smoking some sausage . That grill has not been on since the end of September but I fired up all four burners just now and got it up to 600 degrees in just a few minutes so I know I will be able to control my heat around 250 to 300 as I have read for sausage smoking . I am thinking they should go on the top rack for a slow cook rather than on the grates which would probably fry them before they got enough smoke . I was thinking of putting mesquite in one and apple in the other .
With that said , I will watch for suggestions of where my thinking may be wrong .Would that many chips be overkill or should I just use one container ?.I will be doing this first thing in the morning because I have a musical engagement to participate all afternoon .

Doggonit , can't seem to get the three pictures to here directly from my desktop and Photobucket is down so can't get a url to do it. I will keep trying for a while to see if I can edit them in . . . . .

EDIT . . . OK , I pulled a hat trick and tried another photo hosting site and it worked

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:56 pm

just my $.02 here, other may and can disagree.....
Wood must scorch before it emits smoke; wet wood will not scorch until it is dry first :idea:
I would ask you to experiment for your self with a pan of dry wood chips and a pan of wet wood chips and see which one emits the clean thin blue smoke and at what point. We all know the thick black smoke is what deposits the creosote on our food right? :idea:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
William O Young
Pilgrim

Postby William O Young » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:29 pm

spacetrucker wrote:just my $.02 here, other may and can disagree.....
Wood must scorch before it emits smoke; wet wood will not scorch until it is dry first :idea:
I would ask you to experiment for your self with a pan of dry wood chips and a pan of wet wood chips and see which one emits the clean thin blue smoke and at what point. We all know the thick black smoke is what deposits the creosote on our food right? :idea:

Well , I did do a smoke session today .The chips in the V shaped container between the burners had been soaked for half an hour and well drained . Was going to try with only that one this time .Didn't get much smoke and later added some dry chips to the cast iron one and put it on as well . Still not much smoke apart from some when using a torch on it . .I went by a you tube video and took the grill off one side to get containers close to the flame and put the sausage on the other side with no flame at all . In order to get enough smoke I would have had to have the heat under the chip containers way higher and of course it would be too hot to cook the sausage slowly. Looks like this is not a good way to do smoking and will be looking for the best buy in a gas or electric upright smoker preferably with thermostatically controlled heat .
Sure wish I could post pictures here from my desktop. I have pictures of todays progress but with Photobucket down it is too much of a hassle to post them through another hosting site .
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:51 am

I can't understand why you can't post from your desktop "file". :dont:

Just click on the word Attachment at the bottom left of your posting window
Then click on the words Add Files
Go to your pic/folder/file and click on it then apply
It should DL on your posting window
When downloaded click Place Inline
Then Submit and you should be good to go

If this doesn't work please come back and tell us what's happening

GOOD LUCK :tup: :salut:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:55 am

William,
Do you by chance use a good picture quality Smart Phone by chance ?
If so, there IS another easy option for you that works very well.

Let us know and we can go from there ok ?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
William O Young
Pilgrim

Postby William O Young » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:38 am

OldUsedParts wrote:I can't understand why you can't post from your desktop "file". :dont:

Just click on the word Attachment at the bottom left of your posting window
Then click on the words Add Files
Go to your pic/folder/file and click on it then apply
It should DL on your posting window
When downloaded click Place Inline
Then Submit and you should be good to go

If this doesn't work please come back and tell us what's happening

GOOD LUCK :tup: :salut:

OK , going to try this. If it works , thanks in advance .Seems every site is a little different.

Smoking 4.jpg

Smoking 5.jpg

OK , it appears to have worked just fine . Thanks again . Pictures at start and at end of the smoking session. It was just a pound of sausage for a trial and going bu charts that should be about 1.5 hours and the internal temperature of the sausage measured with very accurate meat thermometer was 150 degrees. In spite of the difficulties in getting enough heat due to the imbalance of the smoke pots temperature and the actual cooking temperature , the sausages did taste very nice .
The skins were tougher than ones that were not smoked but perhaps that is to be expected ? ?
Last edited by William O Young on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
William O Young
Pilgrim

Postby William O Young » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:46 am

woodenvisions wrote:William,
Do you by chance use a good picture quality Smart Phone by chance ?
If so, there IS another easy option for you that works very well.

Let us know and we can go from there ok ?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Yes , I do have a Samsung Galaxy 8 plus that takes excellent pictures. But I refrain from using a little phone for certain tasks because of an eye problem where I have to have injections in both eyes once every month . I prefer to put the photos from phone to desktop to Photobucket on my nig 30" monitor .
Thankfully , OldUsedParts got me straightened out on posting directly from my desktop .
Everything is easy when you know how . . .lol . . . .

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”