Best smoker..

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Mikey9774
Pilgrim

Best smoker..

Postby Mikey9774 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:23 pm

I’ve read a lot on many forums but I still haven’t found the answer I’m looking for, so here I am.
I’m looking to produce the best possible product but I don’t have the time or inclination to mess with a side smoker again. So I’m considering a pellet smoker or a vertical or gravity smoker. I haven’t smoked meat in about 10 years and it was a side smoker that I had used. The world of smoked bbq has come a long way since then. I’m mainly cooking for just me and the wife so the vertical Smoker may seem a bit much but I don’t care if it’s a larger smoker than needed.
My basic question is what will produce the best bbq? If I took the same prepared rack of ribs, brisket or butt and put them on the different smokers which one would produce the best result? I know that can be subjective but please give me your opinions. I’m willing to spend a little over 3k as to include some of the gravity smokers into the mix so can you tell me what you think?
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Best smoker..

Postby Rambo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:40 am

Welcome
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Welcome. :D
Build a UDS and put a party Q temp controller on it and call it a day. Best bang for your buck with long steady burn times and a small footprint.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
richardmiami21
Pilgrim

Postby richardmiami21 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:17 am

Heh welcome there
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:13 am

Welcome to the forum........ :texas:
tarde venientibus ossa....
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:06 am

Welcome to the forum.
I'm relatively new here myself, however due to circumstances have been away awhile and this is my first day back.
Which is best, as you said is very subjective.
My opinion is all will produce a good product. The trick is learning the smoker, to get the best out of it.
I'm a pellet smoker bigot. Love the convenience.
Just a couple weeks ago, I bought a CampChef PGXXL vertical pellet smoker.
It was relatively inexpensive, and purchased it primarily for making Jerky, Sausage, smoking cheese, and side dishes that have to be different temp than what is going on in primary pellet grill.
It has 7 shelves (3 for jerky) and a rack with hooks for the sausages. So will be ideal for what I intend to user it for.
So to test it, I cooked a pork shoulder I had in freezer.
Meat was moist and tender, but Bark came really thick, and as I said, I will need to learn this grill to produce same results as my Memphis Elite.

For a vertical pellet smoker, the market is smaller than a standard pellet smoker.
CookShack has a nice one, but quite a bit over your price point.

Don't know if this helped, best of luck...
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”