Looking to get started

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bmay93
Pilgrim

Looking to get started

Postby bmay93 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:25 pm

Been grilling on a Weber charcoal grill for year. I just bought my first house in Austin, and I'm looking to start smoking my own meat with the obvious goal of making great Texas style brisket.

I want to get a starter smoker for 4-600 and upgrade later on to something really nice like a Yoder if I fall in love with this as a hobby.

Any direction on what I should do/buy?

Keep hearing great things about the WSM, but there's obviously a part of me that would love to go offset because that's what all the "great" pitmasters use
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Looking to get started

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:28 pm

Howdy and Welcome to the Forum :texas: - - - - Congrats on the New Home - - - ENJOY :!: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:14 am

bmay93 wrote:Been grilling on a Weber charcoal grill for year. I just bought my first house in Austin, and I'm looking to start smoking my own meat with the obvious goal of making great Texas style brisket.

I want to get a starter smoker for 4-600 and upgrade later on to something really nice like a Yoder if I fall in love with this as a hobby.

Any direction on what I should do/buy?

Keep hearing great things about the WSM, but there's obviously a part of me that would love to go offset because that's what all the "great" pitmasters use

Welcome to the forum. :D
Don't get caught up in (Offsets are what all great pitmasters use) Myron Mixon cooks on a gravity feed, Harry Soo cooks on WSM's and a lot of great cooks use UDS's. Just starting out I would definitely go with a WSM or drum cooker as they are very forgiving and easy to operate. A small offset from one of the box stores is very temperamental and can frustrate a novice.
Just my thoughts I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rsopnco1 USER_AVATAR
RSOPNCO1
Pilgrim

Postby RSOPNCO1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 pm

Get a thicker smoker, style is all your choice. I’ve used i very thin walled vertical ones not too bad but was happy when the door finally rusted off. Next was an OK Joe Highland has to do all sorts of mods to seal and the darn thing still kicked my arse. My nephew bought that smoker from me and word on the street is he’s rocking his cooks. His answer was moding the fire grate and cooking with the door wide open.
Got tire of fighting that moved to the rig in my sig and it’s been pretty smooth sailing. Few bumps on the learning curve, but extremely happy I did.
Old Country BBQ Wrangler :mrgreen:
Weber Genesis 330S :chef:
2018 Nissan Titan XD :cheers:

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”