Horizon 16" Ranger issues

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

highelavation
Pilgrim

Horizon 16" Ranger issues

Postby highelavation » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:57 pm

Hey guys, this is my 1st post and thanks for having me. We bought a 16" Horizon Ranger last year and seem to have a lot of trouble with it being way too hot by the box and not hot enough in the vertical chamber. If anyone has had the same issues, I'd love some input......we have a lot of vets to cook for this summer!

Thanks
Smoke-a-holic @8500ft
2nd Amendment
USAF Retired
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Horizon 16" Ranger issues

Postby Rambo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:52 pm

Welcome. Hopefully someone familiar with the Ranger can comment
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:09 pm

Howdy and Welcome to the Forum :texas:

I'm almost certain that you'll get some informative replies so hang in there. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:35 pm

There are a couple things working here. On a smaller horizontal offset, you will always have a hot spot by the firebox. To even it out, Horizon makes a head deflector with holes in it. I had one on my 16" New Braunfels Hondo and it made a world of difference.

That vertical is designed to run 70-100 degrees cooler thay the horizontal. They advertise it for slow smoking salmon, cheese, etc. If you want that hotter, you will have to build a bigger fire which will bring the temps in the horizontal portion to more of a grilling temp than a smoking temp.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
highelavation
Pilgrim

Postby highelavation » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:30 pm

Thank you TX1911
Smoke-a-holic @8500ft
2nd Amendment
USAF Retired
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:28 am

Here is a link to the piece TX1911 is referring to. I have a Ok. Joe 16" horizonal I add one to. It helps even the temps in the horizonal chamber and should help push a little more heat into the vertical. But as TX1911 said, in order to get the vertical to a true cooking temp, the horizonal is going to be a broiler. If I were cooking for a large group as you mentioned. I'd use the vertical to hold or reheat the finished product. If you were doing sausages, since they are usually fully cooked in the pack, they could be slow heated and held there as well.

http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/access ... tion-plate
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”