Johnson Smoker T-Pit Review

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sinfony78
Rustler

Johnson Smoker T-Pit Review

Postby sinfony78 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:02 pm

I have had a Johnson Smoker for 1.5 years now that I have been using to smoke bbq weekly for our food truck in Houston - "Coffee-Q: Coffee and BBQ" (@coffeeqtruck). I started on a 24x40 from Lonestar Grillz, but had to move up in size. On the Lonestar, I was able to fit 4 briskets and 2 pork butts per cook. On the 30" T-Pit, I am able to cook 11 briskets and 6 pork butts. And although the overall size is much larger in circumference, it is not much longer due to having the firebox at the bottom instead of the side, which is a HUGE advantage over the Lonestar. We all know real estate is king when cooking bbq commercially, so I have added cooking real estate without adding to the footprint of the cooker itself.

The cook on T-Pit is nothing short of amazing. The LSG uses tuning plates, and while it's great for keeping temps consistent from one side of the chamber to the other, the side closer to the firebox does not get enough smoke to create the bark I want. However, on the T-Pit, every singe square inch of the cook chamber gets a perfect amount of smoke and creates the bark that I have been looking for. While I learned how to cook a brisket on the LSG to the tenderness I like, the T-Pit took the actual cook to a whole new level. I admit that I first had some doubts about the firebox being located underneath, but I can keep temps at a super consistent 250 degrees for an entire cook, adding 1 split every 30-40 minutes. This is a well-oiled machine. And now that I have the 30" for the business at our kitchen, I am now purchasing a 24" for back yard use (I sold the LSG to a friend of mine).

If I ever get that huge bbq restaurant that I want, then everything going in there will be a T-Pit, no doubt.
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Johnson Smoker T-Pit Review

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Very nice review. I’ve seen a Johnson reverse flow in action and they are very nice pits. Worked with a guy that bought a t-pit and he liked it as well.

That’s a good looking cool you posted.

How are the evenness of the temps from side to side and top to bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:15 pm

Side to side is spot on even. The baffle sits atop the firebox entrance. Imagine a half pipe face down at the bottom of cook chamber. When centered, there is an opening on both sides of about 4-5", so heat gets evenly distributed left and right before hitting the smoke stack. The baffle can be moved both ways to adjust heat levels. If you want to cook chicken on higher temps on left and briskets on right, move the baffle all the way right.

Top rack to bottom rack will be about a 30 degree difference if the stacks are placed near the top, or 15 degrees if placed in center of cook chamber (bottom grate level). I'm going to have my 24" with stack placed bottom grate level.

He can now also build them with off road wheels so they will roll on grass. Moving this around in my back yard was a PITA before, but will be much easier now.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:54 pm

One more question - full size splits or do you have to cut them down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:19 pm

i cut them in half and keep a tight coal bed inside a ring of fire brick
i add 2 pieces (1 full stick) each time
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Great review. Wondered about the fire box being there. Make sense. How long normally does it take briskets to cook?
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:05 am

anywhere from 8-11 hours depending on size and where they are placed. i put 14-16 lb briskets on bottom rack which take longer than the 10-12 lbs i put on top rack, because the rack is smaller. also temps up top are a little higher, so smaller briskets cook much faster up there

weights given are what the untrimmed packers weigh at the store
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Sun May 03, 2020 7:46 am

sinfony78 wrote:anywhere from 8-11 hours depending on size and where they are placed. i put 14-16 lb briskets on bottom rack which take longer than the 10-12 lbs i put on top rack, because the rack is smaller. also temps up top are a little higher, so smaller briskets cook much faster up there

weights given are what the untrimmed packers weigh at the store

Thanks. I can make that work. It's the overnighters I can't do anymore. Thanks for your post. Opened my mind up to a new possibility. :salut:
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:26 am

Man you just added another smoker choice to the already crowded field. Hoping to place an order for whatever I decided in the next two weeks.
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:38 pm

Raider18 wrote:Man you just added another smoker choice to the already crowded field. Hoping to place an order for whatever I decided in the next two weeks.
what other ones are you looking at?
about to pick up my new t-pit in a week or so
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Bison Backyard (Check out Bison Smokers in Instagram)

LSG 20"x42"

Shirley 24"x36"
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:43 am

Thanks for the review! That is all the confirmation I needed for my friend and I to start building one. How is the food truck doing? Stay safe!!
Bockbock
Dillo Q
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:30 am

Bockbock wrote:Thanks for the review! That is all the confirmation I needed for my friend and I to start building one. How is the food truck doing? Stay safe!!
all the trucks are doing poorly, our best money makers were large events, unfortunately
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:47 pm

Hang in there Bro; darn Corona
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:38 am

Hey sinfony 78, was wondering if you could take some pics of the inside of your pit with the tuning plates, etc... I would like to try to duplicate the work, if you don't mind. Thanks in advance.
Bockbock
Dillo Q

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”