Will this smoke?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ReynoldsInTexas
Pilgrim

Will this smoke?

Postby ReynoldsInTexas » Thu May 28, 2020 5:02 pm

Looking at a smoker online someone is selling. Price is low ($300) but my untrained eye kind of suspicious if it will work. I'm decently handy with a torch and a mig. I don't have measurements yet but may go tomorrow to look at it. Thinking definitely needs tighter fitting doors/overlaps. Worried about the size of the firebox/grill for smoking. And if the pipe between firebox and smoker is big enough.

What do y'all think? What would I do to modify it to make it work? Thanks!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: Will this smoke?

Postby Boots » Thu May 28, 2020 6:54 pm

Unless a glutton for extra work I would pass. It will leak like a submarine with a screen door. You/ll work yer self to death lapping all the seams and it will still leak like a chimney.

For $3-700 you can buy a decent quality old country or okie joe from Academy that probably will work better and is brand new. Not the highest quality, but certainly serviceable and pretty durable, and if you get serious later you can sell them and upgrade to a more serious smoker. And you can season and start Day One without lighting a torch.

Or can keep prowling Craigs list until something decent pops up. My cooker Rosebud was a rough weld $400 Craigs list special built by some guy somewhere who was not a great welder and the edges were all ragged, but she Is well designed though basic and can cook for sure. I brought her home, ground off all the rough spots, sandblasted and painted her up nice with a tuxedo paint job, and a few years later won a GC with her. She does leak smoke but is reasonably lapped on the gaps and actually breathes real well as a result.

https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/out ... erm=smoker
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
ReynoldsInTexas
Pilgrim

Postby ReynoldsInTexas » Thu May 28, 2020 7:22 pm

Thanks for the input! I don't mind putting a bit of work into it, can be fun even, but yeah I'm a bit worried I'll do a bunch of work and still end up with a poor smoker. I like the thick metal and the price though!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri May 29, 2020 7:13 am

At best this thing is a grill with a side box that may keep food somewhat warm.
Unless you are ready for a massive overhaul I would pass. You will be in it for a lot more than the 300.00 to make it a smoker.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
1moreford USER_AVATAR
1MoreFord
Rustler

Postby 1MoreFord » Sat May 30, 2020 12:58 am

Buy it to put out for all to see. Make everyone think you can cook on that thing.

Then buy and hide a good cooker somewhere and use it. :laughing7:
Joe

Falcon MKV Gas Grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn now gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef 24SG, and Weber 22" OTG
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat May 30, 2020 6:43 am

How hard would it be to weld a lip around all the sealing areas?
If I still had my welders and torches AND a place to do the work, for that price I would be on that thing like a duck on a junebug.
ReynoldsInTexas
Pilgrim

Postby ReynoldsInTexas » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I ended up finding a different one. It needs some work too but not as much as this one.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”