Blown smoke cooker?

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Jwoodyu
Pilgrim

Blown smoke cooker?

Postby Jwoodyu » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:49 pm

Howdy. Any first hand experience or even info?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Blown smoke cooker?

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:57 pm

Jwoodyu wrote:Howdy. Any first hand experience or even info?

On what, exactly? Details are quite important.
(Insert witty signature here)
Jwoodyu
Pilgrim

Postby Jwoodyu » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:32 pm

Feedback on build quality. They look quite reasonable.
emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:55 pm

Is that the Woody I used to know on CoffeeGeek?
Jwoodyu
Pilgrim

Postby Jwoodyu » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:52 pm

emradguy wrote:Is that the Woody I used to know on CoffeeGeek?

Now how is that for a small world? Still rocking Alex Duetto II which has been very reliable. My COS that I have doctored and patched is on its last season so I am in the market.

For old time sake new time picture

IMG_2044 (1) 2.jpg
emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:37 pm

Beautiful! My Duetto II is also still going strong, though I think I have a Gicar issue right now. I put the QM flow control mod on it recently. My Major, is relegated to the sidelines, as Ai recently picked up a Monolith Flat. It’s good seeing you here, John!

11169B60-67B2-415F-806C-9DE45821EABC.jpeg
Jwoodyu
Pilgrim

Postby Jwoodyu » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:51 pm

Likewise, Likewise. I had forgotten how much we had in common with the Duetto and Majors. I have had to change Gicar, both gauges and the vacuum breaker a couple of times but the machine owes me nothing. I still have a dark room timer and controlling my Major having never gotten around to putting a controller in the case.

I had just about settled on a Peoria Cooker and I might still go that way.
emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:21 pm

The Peoria’s are pretty nice. Were you looking at barrel style or the Santa Maria? My brother has a built in Santa Maria...though it’s not a Peoria. They’re really nice grills that give you a lot of control over temperature, because of the ability to raise and lower the cooking surface anytime you want to. But, he actually lives in Santa Maria! They just had it rebuilt a few years ago, when they did a big remodel. It’s awesome. I love when he uses it while we visit. My wife and I redid our outdoor kitchen just 2 years ago. I really lusted after a custom Argentina style Grill, but my wife is an oncologist and insisted on gas fuel to minimize the carcinogens, so I ended up with a built in Blaze Pro. Now I just have to be a little discreet when I throw some wood chips in a smoker box.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:15 am

Wow you guys take your coffee seriously. I’m impressed! I love a good cup of coffee but have never really experimented past a grinder and percolator.

You mention and Argentinian grill. Ever seen anything like this? I thought it was pretty cool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBBHjVwjxXj ... w0dtb97281

As far as the first cooker in the post, do you have a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jwoodyu
Pilgrim

Postby Jwoodyu » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:37 am

emradguy wrote:The Peoria’s are pretty nice. Were you looking at barrel style or the Santa Maria? My brother has a built in Santa Maria...though it’s not a Peoria. They’re really nice grills that give you a lot of control over temperature, because of the ability to raise and lower the cooking surface anytime you want to. But, he actually lives in Santa Maria! They just had it rebuilt a few years ago, when they did a big remodel. It’s awesome. I love when he uses it while we visit. My wife and I redid our outdoor kitchen just 2 years ago. I really lusted after a custom Argentina style Grill, but my wife is an oncologist and insisted on gas fuel to minimize the carcinogens, so I ended up with a built in Blaze Pro. Now I just have to be a little discreet when I throw some wood chips in a smoker box.

In my mind it started out a small tank (150/250) straight draw. I could buy or build potentially, more on build later, but I started looking to buy. What I found is straight draws are harder to come by. I have managed on COS for years and when I have cooked on other peoples big straight draw tanks I figured it out so I can figure out the reverse flow to I suspect. Living in Michigan now rather than Texas an insulated firebox sounds like a winner to me. The grill on top options are pretty meaningless to me, more on this later. Brisket, pork butts the thing and while I haven't had trouble doing ribs in the main chamber I could see using a rib box. We have our own pork processed and make our own sausages so I could see smoking other stuff in a rib box occasionally.

I have a big grill but I like the looks of the fire pit/grills made from end caps kind of like the ones Peoria builds. I have also spent time in Uruguay and I have threatened to build a Parrillia for years.

I have the fab skills needed but I lack the welder and tools having sold them after I stopped racing circle track cars 25 years ago. Setting up shop to build it would cost more than buying but I would have the tools when it was over which is always a plus. I have access to paint guy and spray booth that getting a good paint job is not an issue. Of course there is the romantic appeal of custom trailer with a pit, grill, double propane burners, wood fired pizza oven, fold our roof, LED lighting, sink hot cold running water and a custom "Woody's Roundup BBQ" sign but then there is the realities of age, time and money. :lol:

I think where I have settled is nice backyard or on a tiny minimalist trailer that draws correctly, holds a good temp. If actually get around to fabricating something I will customize a trailer and transplant the smoker.
Jwoodyu
Pilgrim

Postby Jwoodyu » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:43 am

bsooner75 wrote:Wow you guys take your coffee seriously. I’m impressed! I love a good cup of coffee but have never really experimented past a grinder and percolator.

Yeah see the wife is always begging me to take up another expensive hobby. :salut:

bsooner75 wrote:You mention and Argentinian grill. Ever seen anything like this? I thought it was pretty cool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBBHjVwjxXj ... w0dtb97281

You can google Parrillia which are kind of the same deal, wood fired grill but the grate is on a slant and you move meat up and down the slant and rake the coals around to control temps. it is kind of like cooking on a straight draw, hotter at one end so you use that to your advantage.

bsooner75 wrote:As far as the first cooker in the post, do you have a link?

https://www.blowinsmokecookers.com/weekender

bsooner75 wrote:Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input!
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:55 am

Thanks for the link. Diamond plate is a good look but I’m just not sold on it for a smoker. Just my personal opinion. I looked at a couple (not from these guys) back when I was thinking about getting a trailer.

From the pictures that firebox looks a little small to me but there are some accomplished pit builders on this forum that can speak to that.

Some of the builders I’ve been really impressed with are Shirley Fabrication (Alabama) Lone Star Grillz (Willis Tx) and Johnson Custom Smokers (Ennis). It probably be worth the drive to Guthrie to see it and then you can find someone that owns one of these others to compare.

Good luck - and I’m going to look at those parillas…then my wife can be on my butt too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:16 am

Where are you located?
I looked at their work and personally I am not impressed.
I mean look at the hole between the firebox and cook chamber on their chub it looks like a 5 year old cut it out.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (39.15 KiB) Viewed 6674 times
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Jwoodyu
Pilgrim

Postby Jwoodyu » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:55 pm

k.a.m. wrote:Where are you located?
I looked at their work and personally I am not impressed.
I mean look at the hole between the firebox and cook chamber on their chub it looks like a 5 year old cut it out.
Capture.JPG

I see the now the you mention it and I don't really like diamond plate.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”