LSG 24x48 vs Matt's 2440

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

davidf81
Pilgrim

LSG 24x48 vs Matt's 2440

Postby davidf81 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:52 pm

As the subject suggests, I'm doing a bit of comparison on these two pits. I'm currently using a Big Hat Marfa, and it's hands down a complete disappointment. Only Matt can get me a pit before Christmas, when I have a big cook, but I would hate to rush if the LSG is the way to go.

Matt's has the 3/8 firebox standard, looking at doing a 1/2 with LSG. LSG I'd also add a warming oven, TBD on if Matt's will do that. On the LSG I'm also not sure about double door vs a single with counter - the counter option adds a lot more money than I expected but seems like it would be more convenient. I'm accustomed to a cabinet door style and haven't dealt with a horizontal offset in ages, so I'm not sure. Either way I don't want a steak grill on my firebox, but that's a trivial detail.

A (seemingly, to me) large difference is Matt's being reverse flow vs LSG being traditional. I've never cooked on a reverse so I'm not sure if it's just hype or really better.

I was pretty well settled on Matt's since he's relatively nearby and has great prices, but after sniffing around I learned about LSG and am torn on which direction to go.

Any input from folks would be appreciated. I cook several times per month, mostly brisket, pork ribs, turkey, and sausage.
joetee USER_AVATAR
Joetee
Pilgrim

Re: LSG 24x48 vs Matt's 2440

Postby Joetee » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:13 pm

I'm waiting on my Lonestar grill right now. All the info I have gathered shows that the temp across the grates are pretty stable and close enough to not matter to much.
Now a reverse flow I haven't a clue. Drafting might be of concern on some brands.
Lonestar I believe has taken all the great ideas from all the best smokers and combined them into one. Tested and are putting out a great product.
Great firebox also should be noted since this is the week link in all smokers.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:16 pm

Look at BBQ Pits by David Klose.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:58 pm

Not familiar with Matt’s but LSG makes a great cooker. Also check into Shirley. They have a really nice sized backyard model. One of the forum members here was able to get one in record time just by calling and asking. They had a cancellation and just happened to have a truck with an empty spot on it heading to Texas. Seems like he got it in a week or two. Now If you talk custom with them be prepared for a year plus wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:37 pm

I won't try and sway you either way, however I do love my LSG.

Single door with C/W is the way to go.... and I added even more weight (lead shot) to my C/W and the door is effortless to raise and lower. Even if you're young, an LSG pit may be the last pit you'll buy - get the C/W now.

R/F vs. traditional flow.... I'd used both. They each have their quirks. I can't say one is better - just different. You'll learn how best to use your pit regardless of type.

Amen to no grilling option on the firebox. Some folks love that feature - again, I've had one before and didn't like it nor use it.

If possible, I always recommend you go visit the pitmaker's shop and ask questions, test out the features you want (single/double door, etc.) and get a feel for the company's attitude. One thing that sold me on LSG was the tightness of the door opening... so precise I had to add a special port for thermometer wires.

Best of luck in you decision... :chef:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:58 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:
Single door with C/W is the way to go.... and I added even more weight (lead shot) to my C/W and the door is effortless to raise and lower.

I did the same on my Blaz'n GridIron.
When open I was always worried about wind gust blowing lid down on me as when open it was barely past the equilibrium point.
Had a 10 lb bar welded onto the counterweight.
Definitely easier to open.
Attachments
Grid-IronMod-Counterweight1.jpg
Grid-IronMod-Counterweight2.jpg
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”