Weber Smokey Mtn. Smoker - - - Need Info Please

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Weber Smokey Mtn. Smoker - - - Need Info Please

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:02 pm

I've been grilling and smoking on an ECB for many years and mine is about to lose it's ability to perform as I want any longer. I would just get another one had they not stopped making them any longer.

So I'm seriously considering a 22" Smokey Mtn and would like any and all pros and cons from Y'all.
https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/char ... 31001.html

It's either this or a UDS because I like the option to have the meat a good distance above the coals. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
joetee USER_AVATAR
Joetee
Pilgrim

Re: Weber Smokey Mtn. Smoker - - - Need Info Please

Postby Joetee » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:45 am

I never had one but have heard they are really a good smoker. But I think you will find a few mods that make them much better.
One is replacing the door for a better deal. I'm sure others will chime in on this.

https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/weber-s ... tain-mods/
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:55 am

Thanks for the input.
:tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:15 am

I have the 18.5 inches version.
I'm happy with it. I don't have much experience with other smokers but I find it easy to use. I haven't done any modifications to it but it still keeps the temperatures steady. I use the water pan with water. Drawback is that it's messy to clean.

After I bought the Weber Smokefire pellet smoker I haven't used the WSM much. I guess I'm to lazy.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:22 am

Thanks, Joe, I've never seen one ?in person? and I really need to do that. I've also considered Kamado but I like to have that distance option that these taller ones give.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:33 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Thanks, Joe, I've never seen one ?in person? and I really need to do that. I've also considered Kamado but I like to have that distance option that these taller ones give.
There is a separate forum on the web for the WSM

https://tvwbb.com/#weber-smokey-mountai ... -smokers.4

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:24 pm

We have both the 18.5" and the 22.5". I can honestly say once we got 22.5" the smaller one does not see much service.
If you are handy and have access to an unlined drum you can be cooking on a UDS for under 150.00. Less if you do not go overboard on parts.
You can order bolt on parts at https://udsparts.com/
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:27 pm

Thanks KAM - - - I'm really wanting the 22" Smokey Mtn. - - - I hardly ever build or fabricate or fix anything any more because of my "old" hands so I've given most all of my tools to my Sons except for the basics.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:36 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Thanks KAM - - - I'm really wanting the 22" Smokey Mtn. - - - I hardly ever build or fabricate or fix anything any more because of my "old" hands so I've given most all of my tools to my Sons except for the basics.

I understand completely.
The only problem in my opinion with the smaller one is as you already know space. The 22.5" Allows you to easily cook full packers or two to three pork butts. I know you can can trick a brisket on the smaller one but for me it ain't natural lol. I can tell you this the smaller one controls heat much better than its bigger sibling I attribute this to the larger cooking area and not sealing well. Our 22.5" likes 300° but I do run dry foiled pans and no water.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:44 pm

I've had an 18.5" WSM since 2006 or so and a 22" for a few years. I think they are one of the best values in smokers. Capacity is greater than a BGE. Adding a controller like a Cyber Q/DigiQ makes it set and forget it easy. Adding charcoal and wood chunks is easy too. But, you usually don't have to do that as a full load of charcoal lasts 12+ hours. As far as capacity goes, you can generally fit a couple 15 lb briskets in an 18.5" WSM and bigger ones in the 22" one. The 18'5" is much more efficient. The 22" burns through charcoal at a higher rate, plus it uses more just due to its size.

I retired my 2006 WSM in 2020 when a small hole burned through the bottom and the grates needed replacing again. Still, it saw thousands of pounds of charcoal and was worth the $200 it cost way back when. You can find them used on Facebook marketplace for a pretty reasonable price. That is where I bought my 22" and 18.5" replacement.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
grumpy smiles USER_AVATAR
Grumpy Smiles
Pilgrim

Postby Grumpy Smiles » Sat May 08, 2021 6:28 pm

I’ve had the 22” for at least 10 years now. It’s been great, and I can smoke a lot of meat at once on it. I think it hold temps very well, and doesn’t need a lot of tending..

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”