Pit maker Vault pro and con

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

donadams483
Pilgrim

Pit maker Vault pro and con

Postby donadams483 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:38 am

New to the group. Thinking about getting a pit maker Vault. I am using a small offset stick burner now. Need more room. I've read some older posts about them and I'm kinda on the wall now. Hard to hold lower temps, little to no smoke flavor or smoke ring. Please help
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Pit maker Vault pro and con

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 am

I moved this post to a better Thread.
Hope you get the information you need.
I did notice a lot of comments and data on the Internet.
GOOD LUCK :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:33 am

Hey there - I posted this in your welcome thread but figured I’d paste it here as well so the conversation is in the right place.

Before I got my LSG stick burner I cooked with a vault style cooker made by R&O. It was built like a tank and held a ton of meat. Once you got the fire going it would burn for a long long time. I think I got like 23 hours of it once just to see if I could. The negatives were that it took some time to get up to temp (even with a weed burner), I did not feel like I got quite the same smoke flavor as I do from my offset and quite frankly, I got bored with it. Missed playing with the fire. To me that’s one of the best parts of bbq (besides eating ).

Basically just depends on what you are looking for in a cooker but they are good smokers and you can turn out a good product on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:08 pm

I have to agree with B on this. My brother owns one but he complained quite a bit on the length of time to get the temp up to desired amount. I just saw his last Wagyu brisket he had to buy and was honestly not impressed with the exterior color, looked dry and to each is own. The more money then brains comes to mind with my older siblings when it comes to their expertise on smoking meats. I digress. I would consider a bigger offset vs a vault.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:18 am

You cook on an offset and looking at a vault. First thing to realize is they are night and day to each other and will not produce the same flavor profiles. You have to decide what you want in your final product as far as flavor profiles. If you are looking for more space and like the all wood flavor hunt for an offset that will meet your needs.
Vaults do like to run at high temps but that in my opinion is not a bad thing as I do the same on my offset.

As far as the lipstick on meat yes it is pretty but does nothing for the flavor. The only con in my opinion is you are cooking primarily on lump or charcoal with wood chunks in a vault as apposed to splits in an offset. I have seen competition guys over the years sell their vaults and revert back to an offset due to flavor profiles. Now the big thing is drum cookers which produce about the same flavor as a vault just easier to travel with.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
hogaboomer USER_AVATAR
hogaboomer
Rustler

Postby hogaboomer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:33 pm

My neighbor had an offset that his wife said was too big for their porch. So, he sold that and bought a vault. He says it runs too hot, and now he wants to sell it, and get a smaller offset. :mrgreen:

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”