Just bought my first offset (Wichita) and…

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

TheLunchLady
Pilgrim

Just bought my first offset (Wichita) and…

Postby TheLunchLady » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:35 pm

…I’m looking for advice on fire management and any mods
)
Ok, I have seen all the videos and read all the posts on the Yoder Wichita but am still eager to hear successes and best practices. Removing the heat baffle, larger lower air intake on the fire box door, pre-heating the right sized splits, blocking the upper air intake on firebox, taller smoke stack, pointing the fire box “into the wind”, etc, etc. The suggestions and stories are endless.

Does anyone have some simple advice for success with this Yoder? My biggest challenge is altitude; I’m in the Denver area the air up here is quite thin. I’m brand new to this forum (been using a pellet grill for years) and am looking forward to shortening the learning curve on my stick burner / willing and eager to learn from experience and you all.

Thanks in advance!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Just bought my first offset (Wichita) and…

Postby Rambo » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:46 am

Welcome to the Forum. I believe there are some Yoder Owners here to help hopefully.
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Re: Just bought my first offset (Wichita) and…

Postby Copasspupil » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:43 pm

Welcome. I built mine but it very similar to kingman they make. Firebox opening does need to be larger for sure. Also the mastering of the fire is the biggest learning curve coming from a pellet to where you are now. When to place the meat on the smoker, smoke understanding and more importantly reading the smoke itself. Using a weed burner helpful for management as well. Ask away. Many excellent cooks here.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”