Info and steps for new and potential Pit Boss owners

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Jimmy_jack
Pilgrim

Re: Info and steps for new and potential Pit Boss owners

Postby Jimmy_jack » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:42 pm

RCAlan wrote:Step 1. Turn your PB grill on and set the temp dial to smoke. If it’s still cold outside, set the P-setting to P3.. If it’s warm outside, set it at P4, factory default. This is very important... The main reason the lid is open during initial startup/preheating is to confirm that the pellets have ignited... You don’t want a flame out during the preheating steps because the lid was closed to soon. 2. You’re going to see a lot of smoke while the lid is open, this is normal. 5-10 mins. 3. Once the pellets have ignited, “the smoke will clear out” and you’ll hear a torchy roar sound and feel heat being produced. 4. Once this is confirmed, “then close the lid” and set the temp dial to 350* degrees for 30 mins... 5. You may see the temp go way past 350* degrees initially... This is normal, it will settle down, stabilize. 6. Once these steps are completed, the actual temp reading on your grill should be at 350* degrees and holding steady. The preheating is now completed and You can now set your grill to whatever temp you desire to bbq. Good luck this weekend and be sure to post some pics of this coming weekends cook.. :chef:

Waiting for my ribs to finish, BUT....y’all got me worked out! Man it’s stayed in the zone +- 25-40 degrees depending on the cycle. I am very pleased with that. No crazy swings, just the cycle it’s supposed to do. I did the long start and warmup phase and had it on p4 because of cooler temps today.

FWIW and I know people have varying opinions but I had the chimney cover open about 3 fingers width. Seemed to do the trick. I’ll post rib pics later.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:51 pm

J.J. did you get any flare-ups during the longer heat-up cycle :?:
The reason I ask is because I did but I managed to just let them burn out before going to "smoke". :tup:

Special thanks to Alan for all of his help for us. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
RCAlan
Pilgrim

Postby RCAlan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:28 pm

Jimmy_jack, I’m happy to hear everything turned out alright for your cook today... To have your temps cycle 25-40* degrees during a cook in cold weather is very good. The preheat/start up time length is ideal for cold weather cooks and to prevent all the issues Pit Boss and even Traeger Grill owners were having with wild temp swings and in some cases, flameouts.. The 30 min. preheating won’t seem long after a few more cooks and that time can be used in preparing your meats for your grill. And a note to all PB owners, these posted steps work... Don’t take short cuts in the preheating of your grill... OUP, I’m always happy to help fellow Pit Boss Pellet Grill Owners.. :salut: Jimmy_jack if you can, please post some pics of your cook. :chef: :cheers: :chef:
Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:46 pm

There is a mod I've done to my Traegers and Pit boss that I will recommend it helps with the center hot spot and with temperature stabilization.
This mod would no doubt interfere with the PB direct flame models with the slider but depending on your preferences one may choose to do it.

Easy mod just mount a cast iron griddle on top of the flame deflector. I just bought sale or closeout griddles.
It works by further deflecting heat from the center out to the extremes and storing heat like mass does.

I just drilled a couple holes through the griddle and flame deflector and bolted with little 1/8" stove bolts.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Jimmy_jack
Pilgrim

Postby Jimmy_jack » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:08 pm

No major flare ups that I noticed. Stayed pretty much in the zone that I wanted!
Attachments
71EAF10E-7EDF-4E7E-82BF-0932C210AAB3.jpeg
D0542743-8458-49DD-84B3-586D962FCC95.jpeg
RCAlan
Pilgrim

Postby RCAlan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:50 pm

Nice looking Spares Jimmy_jack... :chef: Nice looking smoke ring too... What brand and flavor pellets did you use? How was the smoke and flavor profile for you? Great job though.. That Pit Boss 820 can put out some great Que.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:22 am

Beautiful Bonze, Sir J.J., looks like you have found the Rib Groove so Kudos and Pleasant Pelletizing :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:43 am

1!
Papa Tom wrote:There is a mod I've done to my Traegers and Pit boss that I will recommend it helps with the center hot spot and with temperature stabilization.
This mod would no doubt interfere with the PB direct flame models with the slider but depending on your preferences one may choose to do it.

Easy mod just mount a cast iron griddle on top of the flame deflector. I just bought sale or closeout griddles.
It works by further deflecting heat from the center out to the extremes and storing heat like mass does.

I just drilled a couple holes through the griddle and flame deflector and bolted with little 1/8" stove bolts.

Now THAT sounds like a great idea!!
I'm going to try it on my CampChef..
Jimmy_jack
Pilgrim

Postby Jimmy_jack » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:12 am

Papa Tom wrote:There is a mod I've done to my Traegers and Pit boss that I will recommend it helps with the center hot spot and with temperature stabilization.

Could you post a pic? I can see it in my minds eye, but would like confirmation :)
Jimmy_jack
Pilgrim

Postby Jimmy_jack » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:08 pm

RCAlan wrote:Nice looking Spares Jimmy_jack... :chef: Nice looking smoke ring too... What brand and flavor pellets did you use? How was the smoke and flavor profile for you? Great job though.. That Pit Boss 820 can put out some great Que.

Pit boss comp blend.
rjordan100
Pilgrim

Postby rjordan100 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:59 am

I am a new Pit Boss 1100 Pro Series, and I was smoking for about 9 hours and the temperature dropped to 125 from my
225 setting, I checked it and the firepot was filled with pellets, and the auger kept feeding the pellets after restarting it.
Anyone know what caused this? Fortunately My meat was done, so I finally cleaned the firepot out with my shop vac, and
turned it back on, seemed ok, but just wondering what went wront.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:05 am

any number of things could have caused your "flame out" you probably should have started a new thread regarding this....
did the electricity go off? did the temp spike and drop out? what conditions created the loss of fire?

Welcome to the forum, maby a mod will move this to its own thread and we can examine it better?
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
Lrburgess
Pilgrim

Postby Lrburgess » Mon May 27, 2019 3:47 am

I found all this information to be a great help, now you fella’s tell me how to get my husband to listen to me? He’s gonna burn the dang house down! Reading instructions is key! :deadhorse:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon May 27, 2019 10:33 am

Lrburgess wrote:I found all this information to be a great help, now you fella’s tell me how to get my husband to listen to me? He’s gonna burn the dang house down! Reading instructions is key! :deadhorse:

You can get him to read this long post maybe by deception "Look what these guys are claiming"......or this "look this post tells guys how to "P" their pellet pooper" but spouse verbal communications out of my skill set..... :dont:

Good Luck
tarde venientibus ossa....
RCAlan
Pilgrim

Postby RCAlan » Thu May 30, 2019 4:12 pm

Lrburgess wrote:I found all this information to be a great help, now you fella’s tell me how to get my husband to listen to me? He’s gonna burn the dang house down! Reading instructions is key! :deadhorse:

Just be patient with Him and if necessary, hold his hand... :D Really though, just tell Him to enjoy his grill, but to don’t take any shortcuts with the proper operation and understanding of his new grill for everyone’s enjoyment and safety... :chef:

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”