Re: Info and steps for new and potential Pit Boss owners

Postby my87csx481 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:54 am

Thanks Papa Tom. Very much appreciated.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu May 21, 2020 9:16 am

I just thought of a caveat about the griddle mod.
Since I have a Cookshack FE500 to grill on I never grill on anything else so if your pellet pit has a "Direct Flame " option for grilling the griddle mod would surely get in the way. Use your judgement on if and how to make any mods. The griddle mod evens out the temperatures across the grate and helps even out temperature swings but is not a "must have" option.
tarde venientibus ossa....
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri May 22, 2020 9:12 am

So far, i am LOVING the Austin XL. I've certainly put it through its paces so far and noticed a few things so far..
Heat variation is noticeable; The right side is hotter. The bottom tray of the cart holds water, I had to drill some drain holes for it, no biggie. The weird adjustable cap for the chimney seems to make very little to no difference in anything at all, unless that is contributing to the hotter right side when it is cranked down (?) :dont:

Those are about the only "problems" I've encountered.
(Insert witty signature here)
Bernie
Pilgrim

Postby Bernie » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:37 am

I have a Pitt Boss 820. I a am working with the p settings. It is 90 degrees here. I went through start up and backed down to P4 and it dropped to 190 and stayed there. I then went to p3 and so on to P0 and it went to 240 degrees. Is this normal? I am using pit boss pellets. Also does the cap make a difference open orb closed?
Thanks
kp33
Rustler

Postby kp33 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:54 am

I'm thinking off getting one of these...for smoking purposes can I set the dial to 250 rather than smoke and let my bbq cook that way? If I do what can I expect?
kp33
Rustler

Postby kp33 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:07 pm

Doing the 1st burn...why is what I have it set at 450 amd the actual so off...at one point the actual got up to 515.
kp33
Rustler

Postby kp33 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:19 pm

RCAlan wrote:The preheating as per the Owners Manual is so important... Your grill has a Non PID Controller, so it will have some temp swings. That’s normal... What You don’t want to have are the wild temp swings that can cause problems and issues with your grill. Preheating helps to eliminate the wild temp swings from happening. Always preheat at no lower then 300* degrees... The Owners Manual says 350* degrees for at least 20 mins to allow your PB Austin XL to settle and stabilize. Never just turn it on and set the temp. Another good practice is to clean out the burn pot of ash after every cook. Using a Shop Vac will make cleaning out the ash very easy and when changing out your Pellets, if you see an accumulation of pellet dust in the pellet hopper, shop vac out that dust as well. Preheating and keeping Your PB Austin XL clean will help prevent many issues from ever happening. Keeping it covered and out of the rain and elements will also help protect your wonderful Christmas gift from your Daughter. I know you’re going to enjoy it very much. Others I’m sure will have their say and chime in as well. If You ever have any questions or issues, you’ll find a lot of help and support here as well on the Texasbbqforum.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I'm really confused on something...i keep reading on this thread where people say to pre heat the manual says start in smoke mode...once smoke is gone turn to at least 350 for 30 minutes...my manual does not say that...it states start in smoke mode...lid open...once there is no more white smoke start up cycle is complete amd I'm now ready to cook at desired temp...no where in my manual does it mention preheating for 30 minutes after the white smoke is gone.
wtrbrdm USER_AVATAR
Wtrbrdm
Pilgrim

Postby Wtrbrdm » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:02 pm

kp33 wrote:I'm really confused on something...i keep reading on this thread where people say to pre heat the manual says start in smoke mode...once smoke is gone turn to at least 350 for 30 minutes...my manual does not say that...it states start in smoke mode...lid open...once there is no more white smoke start up cycle is complete amd I'm now ready to cook at desired temp...no where in my manual does it mention preheating for 30 minutes after the white smoke is gone.

Just joined....but I agree. Perhaps the older PBs had different instructions. I also believe the newer ones allow P settings on all temps not just on smoke. When all else fails....follow directions. I do the startup on smoke with the lid open, set temp once it's howling after 4 - 5 min...close lid....wait til it hits temp and roll with it.

2 briskets, 4 butts, many steaks, burgers, ribs etc...zero problems. My only advice is to clean it after a few short uses and after every long smoke. Keeps flare ups away as well as flame outs.
kp33
Rustler

Postby kp33 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:24 pm

Wtrbrdm wrote:
kp33 wrote:I'm really confused on something...i keep reading on this thread where people say to pre heat the manual says start in smoke mode...once smoke is gone turn to at least 350 for 30 minutes...my manual does not say that...it states start in smoke mode...lid open...once there is no more white smoke start up cycle is complete amd I'm now ready to cook at desired temp...no where in my manual does it mention preheating for 30 minutes after the white smoke is gone.

Just joined....but I agree. Perhaps the older PBs had different instructions. I also believe the newer ones allow P settings on all temps not just on smoke. When all else fails....follow directions. I do the startup on smoke with the lid open, set temp once it's howling after 4 - 5 min...close lid....wait til it hits temp and roll with it.

2 briskets, 4 butts, many steaks, burgers, ribs etc...zero problems. My only advice is to clean it after a few short uses and after every long smoke. Keeps flare ups away as well as flame outs.

On my pb 1100 you can only choose the p during smoke...so let's say you choose p2...if you then change from smoke to 300 p2 will be locked in and the only way to change it is to switch back to smoke mode.

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”