Pit boss found trash to treasure

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bleaubbq
Pilgrim

Pit boss found trash to treasure

Postby Bleaubbq » Sun May 24, 2020 9:02 pm

Howdy y'all, I just found a fairly used pit boss my neighbor was throwing out. He said it was broke because someone left it out in the rain. Computer was good so investigated and replaced thermocouple. Fired right up. Proud owner of a $14 dollar pellet smoker.

Been doing this and that with it. Turkey turned out great on it. But was reluctant to throw down a brisket having only ever owned offset smokers. Finally did one. It turned out somewhat ok.
I think after browsing some of the photos of the setups y'all have done I have answers to my issues.
The biggest being how to catch the drippings, because this thing went through a good fire once or twice before I found it. A grate on top of a heavy foil pan looks like what I needed to do right off. I did place it in a pan but not elevated so the flat cooked too fast.
I did injections so that probably saved me from a total disaster. It tastes great and isn't too tough so I'm somewhat happy about it even though I did my best to inadvertently ruin it. I'll be following y'alls advice on these machines because I think they're a great way to smoke without having to be totally chained to the job. Thanks y'all.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Pit boss found trash to treasure

Postby Papa Tom » Sun May 24, 2020 9:49 pm

Congrats on your find....once you get it figured out you in for a treat...
tarde venientibus ossa....
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun May 24, 2020 9:53 pm

A picture of what ya got would be awesome! My wife just recently got me an Austin XL as an early Father's day gift and I'm loving it so far. I have been through my first 40lbs of pellets in a week. So, that's a plus so far. Tomorrow, I'll be cooking 2 st. Louis racks and a pork butt. Picked up a bag of maple bourbon pellets; pellets made from maple casks used for aging bourbon. This could be interesting! Today, I did some pork chops using the last of the competition blend (hickory, maple, apple), and i mixed in some walnut sawdust. THIS was definitely interesting!
(Insert witty signature here)
Bleaubbq
Pilgrim

Postby Bleaubbq » Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am

Yesterday was a tough day for smoking outside if you didn't have any cover! Maple bourbon pellets sounds amazing. I'm gonna need that sweet hook up. I'll post some pictures of this thing I found. Thanks again y'all.

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”