Rec Tec Brisket

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tpack
Pilgrim

Rec Tec Brisket

Postby tpack » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:52 pm

This was my first attempt at cooking a brisket on my Rec Tec pellet smoker. I had my concerns about the amount of smoke flavor it would have since I had been using an offset smoker for over 30 years. I am happy to say that the smoke flavor of this brisket was great and it was as tender as any brisket I ever cooked or tasted. I made burnt ends and chopped BBQ out of the point and they were also great . Enjoy!!

I cooked a Prime brisket Saturday on my Rec Tec that was about 8.5 lbs. after trimming and cooked @180 degrees(extreme smoke) for 8 hours untill it hit the stall at 155 internal degrees. I wrapped and put it in the oven inside the house @210 degrees and after 4 more hours the point was 205 internal degrees and the Thermapen went in like butter.. I wrapped in a towel and placed inside a cooler for 4 hours. It turned out great. Total cook time was 12 hours or about 1.5 hours per lb.

[/quote]
mlmurrah USER_AVATAR
mlmurrah
Pilgrim

Re: Rec Tec Brisket

Postby mlmurrah » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:26 pm

Got an ST-700 coming. Hope my first brisket turns out as well as yours. Your comment on smoke flavor is comforting. That has always been one of my doubts about pellet smokers.
Rec Tec RT-700
Weber Smokey Mountain
Huntsville, TX
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:24 pm

:cheers:
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Postby astrohip » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:12 am

tpack wrote:This was my first attempt at cooking a brisket on my Rec Tec pellet smoker. I had my concerns about the amount of smoke flavor it would have since I had been using an offset smoker for over 30 years.

Beautiful looking brisket. Makes me wanna fire up the smoker now!

I had the same concerns about pellet smokers when I first got my Camp Chef, also having a background in stickburners. But from Day One, the Q has been great, plenty of smoke, plenty of bark. When friends & family have some of my BBQ, they universally love it (assuming I didn't screw up the cook :lol: ).

Congrats!
Camp Chef SG Woodwind w/Sear Kit
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:41 am

I think that all the parts are there and you have a Winner - - - - - Bark, Smoke Ring and Moisture makes one proud and Hungry :chef: :cheers: :salut: :wav:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
phillymike
Cowboy

Postby phillymike » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:14 pm

My sister gave me a pellet smoker for Christmas two years ago. Never even took it out of the box. Looks like I have some erector set building to do this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:34 pm

phillymike wrote:My sister gave me a pellet smoker for Christmas two years ago. Never even took it out of the box. Looks like I have some erector set building to do this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does your sister know that?
bigtex52 USER_AVATAR
bigtex52
Pilgrim

Postby bigtex52 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:44 pm

@tpack If you don't mind me asking, what pellets did you use for that brisket? I find it hard to get heavy enough smoke flavor on my briskets for my taste with my RT-680. I've never tried cooking at 180 degrees though.

Big Green Egg - Large
Weber One-Touch Gold 22"
New Braunfels BD
SmokinTex Pro 1400

.....all for the love of a good woman and light blue smoke
tpack
Pilgrim

Postby tpack » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:01 am

bigtex52 wrote:@tpack If you don't mind me asking, what pellets did you use for that brisket? I find it hard to get heavy enough smoke flavor on my briskets for my taste with my RT-680. I've never tried cooking at 180 degrees though.

I used the Rec Tec pellets that I bought when I purchased my pellet smoker. I was surprised with the flavor. I am going to use B&B mesquite on my next one. They seem to have a more robust smoke flavor.
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:25 am

Beautiful! :salut: :chef:

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”