New to Smokers and looking to jump in

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

kevinc
Pilgrim

New to Smokers and looking to jump in

Postby kevinc » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:53 pm

Hello All,

I'm new to the smoking endeavor, and have done some initial research and asked around some friends. Also read through some of the posts on this great site.
I've narrowed down my choices to one of the smaller wood pellet brands below: (Possibly these models)

Rec Tec (340?)
Camp Chef (DLX 24?)
Pit Boss (Pro 820?)

My budget cap is really around $500.

I have a few questions was hoping to get some wisdom from all of you Pit Masters! :)

1. What are your experiences on long term warranty support (i.e. issues get repair parts, willingness to help you, etc). If you can include what you have, and how long you've had the smoker that would be really useful.

2. How critical is all stainless steel vs steel painted parts? (The smoker would likely be out on my covered patio with a cover year around, and I live in the Austin, Texas if that helps)

3. Your personal advise/wisdom: I like the Camp Chef which has the ash and pellet cleanout, and also a shelf. I'm not sure how important or handy that would. (Do you need to cleanout the ash and change pellets often?) I know the Rec Tec is highly recommended but it lacks those features. The Pit Boss doesn't seem to have a PID controller is mixed with some of the above features, but does have the longest warranty.

Thanks all,

Kevin
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Re: New to Smokers and looking to jump in

Postby astrohip » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:32 pm

kevinc wrote:3. Your personal advise/wisdom: I like the Camp Chef which has the ash and pellet cleanout, and also a shelf. I'm not sure how important or handy that would. (Do you need to cleanout the ash and change pellets often?) I know the Rec Tec is highly recommended but it lacks those features. The Pit Boss doesn't seem to have a PID controller is mixed with some of the above features, but does have the longest warranty.

Thanks all,

Kevin

Hello fellow Texan, from the Brenham area. I can answer #3, since I have a Camp Chef.

I use the ash cleanout every time, so it's incredibly handy. Honestly, it's usually less than 1/2 full, sometimes less for shorter cooks, but it's on my startup list, so I do it. ;) .

The pellet cleanout sounds like a great feature, and I have yet to use it. 8) I use the same pellets for every cook, so I've never found the need to dump pellets. If you think you would change pellets, then it's probably a must-have feature.

I've never had an issue, so I have no idea how customer service is.

Good luck!
Camp Chef SG Woodwind w/Sear Kit
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:32 am

I am little to no help when it comes to pellets but wanted to say welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pitrust USER_AVATAR
PitRust
Pilgrim

Postby PitRust » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:38 pm

Welcome aboard, I am also from Texas (East, Tyler/Longview). I am new to the pellet scene but can tell you that I spent months researching, reading, watching videos and talking to folks. I don't think you will go wrong with any of your choices. What I finally did was made a list of what was important to me in a pellet and then narrowed it down to 2. My final two were the Camp Chef Woodwind and the Oklahoma Joe's. I ultimately went with the Oklahoma Joe's because it had a couple of features that became important to me as I worked through the process. Best of luck, there is a wealth of knowledge in these forums and these guys are extremely helpful.
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Postby astrohip » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:08 pm

PitRust wrote:Welcome aboard, I am also from Texas (East, Tyler/Longview). I ultimately went with the Oklahoma Joe's because it had a couple of features that became important to me as I worked through the process.

Don't leave me hanging! As someone who uses a pellet smoker all the time, I'm really curious what features sold you. And did you find them useful once your purchase was made?

Thanks! :texas:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:39 pm

Welcome from Norway.

I can't help you much with your questions. Got my Weber smokefire a couple of days ago. Did my first cook today.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
pitrust USER_AVATAR
PitRust
Pilgrim

Postby PitRust » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:37 pm

Astrohip, The features that sold me were; the sear feature, the pellet dump lever and the adjustable shelf system. I also like the idea that the sear plate is removable and the griddle pan fits right in its spot. I have cooked everything from brisket to lasagna to pancakes on this thing and so far has performed flawlessly. I enjoy the versatility and take advantage of it almost daily. I really think the most important thing in picking a grill/smoker/cooker is to just figure out what works best for you. I was about to flip a coin, that’s how close it was for me, between the Joe and the Camp Chef. I kept going back to that sear lever and getting that flame to kiss those ribeyes.
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Postby astrohip » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:59 pm

PitRust wrote:Astrohip, The features that sold me were; the sear feature, the pellet dump lever and the adjustable shelf system. I also like the idea that the sear plate is removable and the griddle pan fits right in its spot. I have cooked everything from brisket to lasagna to pancakes on this thing and so far has performed flawlessly. I enjoy the versatility and take advantage of it almost daily. I really think the most important thing in picking a grill/smoker/cooker is to just figure out what works best for you. I was about to flip a coin, that’s how close it was for me, between the Joe and the Camp Chef. I kept going back to that sear lever and getting that flame to kiss those ribeyes.

Sounds great, thanks for the info.

And enjoy!
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:57 am

1. What are your experiences on long term warranty support (i.e. issues get repair parts, willingness to help you, etc). If you can include what you have, and how long you've had the smoker that would be really useful.
Since I don't have any of the grills you are looking at and the CampChef Vertical Pellet Smoker I have is relatively new, I can's help you with Warranty Support.

2. How critical is all stainless steel vs steel painted parts? (The smoker would likely be out on my covered patio with a cover year around, and I live in the Austin, Texas if that helps)
That is up to you. SS looks nice but you have to be diligent about cleaning it.
Painted Black you don't have to clean often and looks the same clean or dirty for the most part. Downside, paint can burn off and it can rust (even in Texas).

3. Your personal advise/wisdom: I like the Camp Chef which has the ash and pellet cleanout, and also a shelf. I'm not sure how important or handy that would. (Do you need to cleanout the ash and change pellets often?) I know the Rec Tec is highly recommended but it lacks those features. The Pit Boss doesn't seem to have a PID controller is mixed with some of the above features, but does have the longest warranty.
Ash cleanout is nice, but doesn't mean you don't have to remove all the inside parts and vacuum out ash, just have to do it less often.
I recommend you buy a small vacuum to use for whatever pellet grill you buy. Makes a simple job of removing ash so it doesn't end up blowing on your food.
Not mandatory, just makes it easier.
Pellet cleanout is nice if you are one that likes to cook different meats with different kinds of pellets.
Some folks that don't have a pellet cleanout and like different pellets for different meats use a dedicate vacuum for removing the pellets from the hopper so that can put a different pellet in.

EDIT: FYI - you can get vacuums as cheap as $30 at HD and Lowes.
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:57 am

Some good advice given.
I have been pellet cooking for just over 20 years now and needless to say the original Traeger didn't have all the features available today but it did what I wanted ( & BTW still have, still works).
The point I'm getting @ is to match what you need to what you shop for. I wanted a smoker not a grill and that is still the case. I have a Cookshack PG500 that has the direct grill capability but I rarely use it for that as a Weber kettle does a better job.
I also have a Pit Boss 820 and a Pit Boss vertical 3 series.
My take on features:
PID controller is definitely superior for heat control but after analysis I decided against installing one on my pit because the tight control limits smoke production counterproductive on a smoker especially a pellet unit.
Pellet dump 3 of my smokers have this but I only occasionally use it, like others I generally use the same wood, oak. Also have used the vac to empty the hopper works well.
Sear capability already talked about this not a big deal to me.
Stainless vs paint I completely concur with 02ebz06 on this the stainless looks good IF you keep it clean black looks like a smoker.
Ash cleanout my PB500 has ash cleanout I use it because it was designed for it and would otherwise be difficult to clean, on the others the vacuum works well and because one needs to clean the grease drain etc. anyway it is no big deal.

Other thoughts:
My Pit Boss 820 has the big steel wheels on the pellet hopper end I really like this. (BTW there are different configurations of the 820 you have to shop to find the right one)
Value: both Pit Boss units are a bargain especially if found on sale I bought in off season and gave $300 each for mine new. If it is your only cooker width would be a issue with the 3 series vertical unit.
I hear good things about Rec Tec but am not familiar at all with Camp Chef or Oklahoma Joe pellet units.
tarde venientibus ossa....
kevinc
Pilgrim

Postby kevinc » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:49 am

Thank you all for your replies and help. Much appreciated.

I will send pics or a post of what I get! :)

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”