Vermont castings... Worth fixing?

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Yankee Griller
Pilgrim

Vermont castings... Worth fixing?

Postby Yankee Griller » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:52 am

Hi guys. This is my first post on the forum, so please tell me if I'm not posting in the right place. I recently bought a house and the previous owner was kind enough to leave me his 5 burner Vermont castings natural gas grill, model #vcs5005n. It is not in good shape. The burner, flanges, heat shield and grates are all rusted beyond repair. The grease basins, which in this grill constitute the entire bottom of the grill body, also need to be replaced. The grill comes with a rotisserie attachment as well. That burner and the spit need to be replaced but it looks like the motor works. The inside has some holes and a lot of rust. I've never welded before but I used to be a mechanic so I'm willing to give it a shot. The outside appears to be in decent shape and could be cleaned up easily. I haven't detected any gas leaks and it does seem that the gas gets all the way to the burners, although I haven't tried lighting anything.

Is this worth fixing, or should I just buy a new grill? I'd probably look to spend around 750 for a new grill. We just had a baby last week so I'd like to save money wherever I can. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20190417_103030.jpg
Rotisserie burner
IMG_20190417_103026.jpg
Inside of grill
MVIMG_20190417_103000.jpg
Outside of grill
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Vermont castings... Worth fixing?

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:48 am

I had that exact grill, and I also gave mine away when I moved. Parts are expensive, and some are hard to find. Vermont Castings no longer makes grills. I would spend my money on a new but less expensive grill. There are a lot of grill review sites on the web. Good luck.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:18 pm

i would go the new route, and congrats on the new addition to the family.
Yankee Griller
Pilgrim

Postby Yankee Griller » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Thank you for the replies (and the congrats). I think we are going to replace it with a pellet smoker.

Given that the body still seems ok and I love to tinker, I may try converting it to a charcoal grill. Any thoughts on that?
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:50 pm

As long as it will hold charcoal and draft air I don't see why not.

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”