An outdoor grill to fit my simple needs

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bsouth
Pilgrim

An outdoor grill to fit my simple needs

Postby Bsouth » Mon May 20, 2019 7:03 pm

HI, first post here. I'm looking for a grill to suit my lifestyle (I haven't owned a grill in several years). I don't really care about slow cooking or smoking. I need to be able to come home and throw something on the grill and cook it for dinner. I recently lost my wife, so I'll be cooking mostly for myself, occasionally for 4-6 others.

I prefer a quality propane grill and am willing to pay for quality (within reason). I'll likely use this grill fairly often, as grilled meats will accommodate some health issues.

I often 'blacken' steaks (using blackend redfish seasoning). In the past, I used an open flame grill (no tents) with lava rocks on a rack in the bottom to reflect heat upward. I also wrapped water soaked mesquite or hickory in foil, poked holes in foil to help with smoke flavor. In recent years, I use a hot cast iron pan with a bit of olive oil.

I'll also be cooking chicken breast fillets and sausages. I'd like to get more creative as time goes on.

I want a grill that will last (both body and components) and perform well with a good warranty.

So the questions:

Recommendation for a quality grill? I guess I'd be willing to spend a few grand give or take. I don't want to spend any more than is expedient.

I think an infrared burner would help with the searing? They seem to make a "rear infrared" burner and an 'add-in IR burner that takes the place of one of the propane burners. Is IR recommended, or a gimmick?

Is a rotisserie worthwhile? Do many use them? Are they more diverse that just whole chickens?

I'd also appreciate any advice filling me in on what features, points of buying a grill that I may be missing.

Apologies for the hurried and novice post. Time is limited and I'm just looking for guidance from those who know before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: An outdoor grill to fit my simple needs

Postby Norway Joe » Mon May 20, 2019 11:24 pm

Hi and welcome.

If I should dare give an advice I would go for a Weber. I don't claim to know the quality of all brands out there, but my experience with Weber is great. I've tried a few other brands, including broil king, and they fall apart or rust away in a few years. I bought a new Weber last year, the one i had before is still fine, albeit with a few spots here and there. It's 17 years old so I moved it to my cabin. It's been standing outside all year, summer and winter, mostly without cover. We have a pretty harsh climate here in Norway.

A few things I would think of is this:

Make sure the burners are going parallel to the short sides of the grill, not the long sides. A grill is usually wider than its deep and with this burner arrangement t makes indirect cooking much easier.

Buy one with as much grill area you can afford because again, more space = easier indirect cooking. And you can turn of a few burners and move the finished food over to rest or finish while you have high heat on the remaining burners. When only cooking for one person you can fire up only two burners.

Regarding IR burner I have one in mine but I dont use it much. I also have a sear station where one extra burner is located between two ordinary burners. I use this much more, e.g. when cooking steaks.

My grill also has a built in rotisserie. I use it from time to time for chicken, roasts, leg of lamb. I would recommend one if you can.

My grill has a smoke box. Not necessary. Imo. You can buy a separate. Put the money in more grill area and more burners

These are my advices based on my experience, others may have different opinions.

I use a Weber summit s-670.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
Bsouth
Pilgrim

Postby Bsouth » Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 am

Hi Joernolav, thanks for your comments. Sound advice, I think. I spent some time last night perusing the forum and the web and most seem to agree with you. Weber seems to be the standard of quality. As of now, I'm thinking that the Genesis II 3xx series is what I'm looking for. I still have to put in some time determining the differences in the series. The 'searing station' is important to me...it seems that Weber dropped that feature in the G II series for a few years, but have brought it back. I also saw a few youtubes using and revering the G II for indirect cooking a brisket. The GII series will also accommodate a rotisserie.

At this point, a few more specific questions & thoughts occur:

The grates:

The G II series has stainless (S) and painted (E) models. I believe both have the same warranty. The S model also has stainless grates, while the E model has cast iron. The S grates are small rounded tubes, while the cast iron is a bit wider. There are pros and cons to both. In example, the Stainless grill seems to be more durable but doesn't get as hot, whereas the coated cast iron gets hotter (and has more area...better for a good sear), but isn't as durable.

Is the stainless the preference hands down?

The body:

Is the E series less durable than the S series?

iGrill:

Is the iGrill worthwhile, given it's limited bluetooth range, or are there other comparable 'systems' that provide greater range? I've read that the iGrill 2 is a better choice than the iGrill 3, since the '3' is viewable only with a device, since it has no display.

Thanks...I appreciate the guidance.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue May 21, 2019 9:48 am

Hi again

I have only had stainless grates in my Weber's but cast iron in some other. I didn't notice much difference in grilling. Maybe cast iron grates stay warm a little longer but I don't see what difference it makes. I keep the gas on if I need more heat. I have no problem getting the grill up to 650 in our climate if I give it a little time.

As for the body I've only had stainless steel. They have been very durable. As i said my genesis gold is still going fine after 17 years. I like the look of stainless steel, but it a bit more hassle to keep clean.

I use the igrill 2. Bought it this year after few years with the igrill mini, which I found subpar. I use the app where I can record and store every grill session and set temp intervals, timers and warnings. Distance is no concern here. I usually don't go far from the grill since it stands on the patio. If I should get out of range it picks up when I'm back.Image

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue May 21, 2019 10:33 am

BSouth, not sure what part of the world you reside in. But give this website a look. It is more or less high end grills. Mine is a built in RCS, I have had it since 07. ANd it has cooked a ton of meat.

This is what it looked like last Saturday. But my next one may be a Firemagic.

IMG_4567.jpg

IMG_4577.jpg
It has an internal light, and has been a good unit, but I may go to firemagic on the next one.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 am

Bsouth
Pilgrim

Postby Bsouth » Tue May 21, 2019 11:11 pm

Thanks for your help, Joernolav (& GRailsback). I've decided to go with the GII S-335 (LP). I'll probably pick it up at Home Depot.

I'll also pick up the iGrill2 & the Weber 3 sided grill brush, a few propane tanks. Please mention if there are other accessories I'm forgetting. I'm not planning on a cover atm. I'm not sure I want the hassle of a cover. The grill will be under a sheltered overhang.

I'll also want to get a smoker box, but there doesn't seem to be one specifically made for the Genesis II series. Can someone recommend a 3rd party box? I assume I can just lay the smoker box across the flavorizer bars under the grate?

Anything I'm forgetting?
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue May 21, 2019 11:17 pm

Congratulations with a nice grill. It will serve you well and I think you will be happy with that.

Bsouth
Pilgrim

Postby Bsouth » Wed May 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks, and again, your input was useful and appreciated.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri May 24, 2019 8:37 am

I would echo what Joe says about the Webber, I do not know the other names but if Grails recommends them they are surely good gassers....
I have a Webber genesis,(natural gas) it is an older model, but cooks fine for my use; I have not owned a Webber product that was less than exceptional, they make good equipment!!
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
gregfosterid USER_AVATAR
Gregfosterid
Pilgrim

Postby Gregfosterid » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:58 pm

Hello! I'm new to this forum, but I can't help saying this. My parents have such a model of grill Char-Broil Gas2Coal 3 for about 1 year if I'm not mistaken. It's quickly and easily converts from a gas grill to charcoal grill without tools. The generous cooking area of 420 square inches and the warming rack of 120 square inches provide lots of space to grill plenty of food and keep it warm afterward. Heat is provided by three main burners with a BTU output of 40,000 and a side burner which generates 12,000 BTUs. The burners are made of stainless steel to make them more resistant to rust and enhance their durability, and the side burner has a lid to convert it to a prep space.

Our family likes the opportunity to combine different types of fuel for cooking on the grill. It depends on the mood and what taste of the dish we want to get in the end. We have already prepared over a hundred recipes on our grill and everything turned out delicious)

To choose the right frill for yourself what you really like, you can look through this list. In it, our model is in the last place (a little sad), but then you have a chance to choose a better grill than we have. :lol:
leslietomb95 USER_AVATAR
leslietomb95
Pilgrim

Postby leslietomb95 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:31 am

I would love to know about different grills and their use for different cuisines. This could have saved me with daily hustle in cooking.

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”