Assassin charcoal grill or Ceramic cooker?

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sar USER_AVATAR
Sar
Pilgrim

Assassin charcoal grill or Ceramic cooker?

Postby Sar » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:19 am

Well, I’ve submitted my first budget proposal to the finance ministry and was summarily rejected. The wife does not feel that $3k is a necessary expense for a smoker that we will only use “once in a while”. I actually wasn’t planning on ordering until late May early June, the proposal was just to get her used to the idea. While I intend to make my case, and I’ve got my eye on the Ironside Slugger since they are made locally, I’ll take this opportunity to explore the options that would be within budget. I figure I can gain ministry approval for:

Assassin 36 or 48 grill
Ceramic cooker (Home Depot-sourced most likely or BigGreenEgg)
OR???

Which would you choose and why?
I’m looking for an all-purpose charcoal grill at this point that can also smoke. The Assassin models are attractive as they seem capable of long, low-n-slow cooks and sip fuel, and I can put down full racks of ribs/brisket on an assassin grill.

Am I missing any fit either of these categories?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Assassin charcoal grill or Ceramic cooker?

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:06 am

Howdy and Welcome to the Forum :salut: - - - - you should certainly be able to score a decent Charcoal Grill for a lot less than $3 grand. A lot of you decision should probably be made on the types of "cooks' you'll be doing also. :tup: Give the members time to see this post and you should be getting some Suggestions based on "Experience". :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:44 am

How big will your cooks be? One brisket, multiple briskets etc? BGE’s are very versatile but I’m not sure if you can cook more than one brisket at a time (maybe on the biggest one). I haven’t actually cooked on either so if any of the members know otherwise please correct me. Paging Mr Egghead…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:58 pm

I have 3 BGEs. XL, small, and mini. You can do two briskets on an XL. I have done a brisket and two butts on two levels. I’ve also done 12 racks of ribs on the XL with a creative setup (4 levels).

The most popular size is a Large. It would take some after market additions or simply a second grid and some nuts and bolts in order to do two briskets.

You can smoke, grill, bake, do some wokking, make pizzas, fry (careful here with a bunch of oil over a bunch of lump). Done all of those and one of my favorites is to make a paella. Been too long since I made a pizza or paella. :scratch:

I can’t comment on an Assassin grill - don’t know what they are.

Good luck with your decision and hope you are pleased with your choice.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:13 pm

I knew the eggspert would have some good info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”