Diy Weber kettle deflector plate

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Tom159
Pilgrim

Diy Weber kettle deflector plate

Postby Tom159 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:08 pm

Hi all.

I’ve just watched a video on YouTube that put a coal ring in the bottom of the kettle with a pizza stone on top to use as a deflector plate. This is instead of banking the coals on one side to set up indirect zones. And allows you to use the whole grate and therefore bigger cuts of meat. Kind of replicating the summit grills I think. It obviously doesn’t allow as much space between the grate and deflector plate.

Has anyone done anything like this or have any ideas if it will work well before I go and buy a pizza stone and ring so I can do bigger cuts of meat :D

Thanks
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: Diy Weber kettle deflector plate

Postby Chasdev » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:04 am

I have not but I'm going to haul out my pizza stone and see if I can jury rig some sort of method of mounting it...perhaps an upside down kick ash basket?
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:09 am

I thought I saw a video, maybe Pitmaster X, that reviewed the current European model Weber kettle that had that exact thing.
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
Tom159
Pilgrim

Postby Tom159 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:59 am

Let me know how it goes and if it works chasdev and how you end up holding it up.

I’ve literally just watched the video of the new model so maybe it wasn’t such a crazy idea and will work well if Weber are actually producing one now.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:41 pm

My Kamado is hard to reach and "limber up" so no pics of the KAB but here's how I do indirect in the Weber now.
I either use it set up as on the left or with it as shown on the right which allows room for more briquettes in the gap between the holder and the cooker body, don't know why I bought two of the things, one allows for plenty of heat so I never run two at one time.
Attachments
DSC00314.JPG

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”