Gas Grill electronic ignitor question

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bbqchris
Pilgrim

Gas Grill electronic ignitor question

Postby bbqchris » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:35 pm

Hi, all. Happy to have found this forum. Hoping somebody has some insight i'm missing...having trouble getting a burner to flame up.

My "electronic ignition module" on my Ducane gas grill (3 burners) crapped out. Stopped producing a spark. So, I ordered a replacement part from a website (grillparts website).
Got the part. Pretty simple installation. Got three plug in wires, each plugs into the new ignitor module, then each goes to a burner (duh!).
The first two burners will fire up, but not the third. I thought maybe the wire burned out on the third burner, so i switched that wire from the third plug in spot to the first, and it worked fine.

So, i'm thinking that for some reason the third plug in spot on the new ignitor isn't working. they sent me a part that doesn't work? Am i missing something?

I've used up all my brain power. Thx for any advice!

BBQchris

The part in case it helps:
https://www.grillparts.com/ducane/affin ... d=30501044
bbqchris
Pilgrim

Re: Gas Grill electronic ignitor question

Postby bbqchris » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:56 pm

P.S.: the ignitor box has four outlets, but i only use three of them.
I've been reading that the fourth should be grounded, but my previous module wasn't grounded -- and worked fine.
Issue?
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:55 am

looks like a question for tech support? or where ever you bought your igniter module from.
I have some knowledge of electronic theory, but the problem you are describing could be related to numerous possibilities, so in all fairness to Ducane they would probably be your best source, since they designed and built the product.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:58 am

Ground it... Not all replacement modules ground thru the mounting nut. If nothing else put one finger on the connector in question and another finger on the ground and hit the button. That will tell you something.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
Huckleberry
Pilgrim

Postby Huckleberry » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:34 pm

Check your ceramic end down by the burner. It is much like an old car ignition. It needs a good clean area to ground to (usually on the burner). You can try cleaning the ignitor ceramic or just replace it if it has lots of debris around it. Another reason would be the tip of the ignitor is not close or too close to the grounding spot check the ignitors that are working and see how much distance they are from the grounding spot and compare it to the one that is not working
davidgreams
Pilgrim

Postby davidgreams » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:27 pm

Each control knob operates an individual burner, and each burner ignites independently. Ignite the burners starting from left to right. All burners should be lit for preheating, however, all burners do not have to be lit while grilling.

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”