Problem: Gas leaking from all valve orifices

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

MichaelGee
Pilgrim

Problem: Gas leaking from all valve orifices

Postby MichaelGee » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:09 pm

HI all,

I have a 5 year old Char-Broil 5 burner Tru Infrared grill (M# 463251914). I noticed the smell of gas the other day and tracked it down to it leaking out all 5 orifices on the valves. Now, I would understand that over time due to use,heat, and weather that any seals might wear out but it doesn't get much use and I generally use the left side of the grill, have I've barely used the the two right burners, and never used the gas stove top on the far left. Although it is stored outside, it has a cover and is alwasy under a roof. Beside, we don't get extreme weather in W. Washington.
Since we got this thing for $135 (including tax) and a replacement hose valve regulator assembly would cost me $91+, repairing this thing seems like the only real option BUT I was just wondering if anyone has experience slow leaks from every valve before. Seems like a defect because if not, that's a serious waste of propane. I reached out to Char-Broil Monday morning but haven't heard back yet to know if this is a known issue or not.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Problem: Gas leaking from all valve orifices

Postby Russ » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:50 pm

Fix it ASAP, don't be like this. About 15 min drive from me, but the back doors rattled like heck.

Russ

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... 16&ref=rss
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
MichaelGee
Pilgrim

Postby MichaelGee » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:28 pm

Oh, I plan to. I don't mess around with 'spodey things. I'd just like to see if maybe there is some instructions on the best way to resolve something like this. I mean, one leaking value is expected, two seems unusual but not unexpected, but all five...I think that's one of the signs of the apocalypse. :D
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:50 pm

After 5 years, despite low use, I would expect seals to wear simply from hot and cold cycles, which I bet you do get some of those in WWash maybe. And if your pressure regulator was not getting it done (or you don't have one but I would doubt it) that might be the culprit too; excess gas pressures to the burners could pressure the seals.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
MichaelGee
Pilgrim

Postby MichaelGee » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:20 pm

Average annual high is 61.8°F and low is 44.7°F with an average of 53.25°F. We get spikes but 90 and 28 is rare so I wouldn't think it would have been caused by the weather. Still, changing the seals seems to be my only option at this point.
As far as the regulator, I just swapped out my original one with one that has a pressure gage on it to better know when I'm in need to get it refilled. Since this has a dial on it I suppose I'm letting too much pressure in since I have tried it at full open. I best check to make sure I'm not doing that as well as try it with the original regulator to see if it's still an issue. Thanks for the tip.
MichaelGee
Pilgrim

Postby MichaelGee » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:22 pm

I looked at my original regulator and it didn't state any PSI so I just put soapy water on the end of the orifice and I turned on the gas slowly but at about 7 PSI I saw bubbles so it's obviously not too much pressure from the new regulator unless the old one blew out everything.
MichaelGee
Pilgrim

Postby MichaelGee » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:24 pm

Well, I finally got in touch with Char-broil and they said they suggest people turn off the gas at the tank after each use. I checked the manual and under "Turning off the Grill" they do state, "Turn LP cylinder OFF by turning hand-wheel clockwise to a full stop." There is no warning about the constant pressure ruining the seals and it's just part of one sentence. Since this can because a costly replacement, I wish they had called more attention to it. I guess I've just learned a costly lesson. They also do not offer replacement seals so I do have to replace the entire valve system. They did offer me a 25% discount on the part and 50% on the shipping but that still comes to more than half of the entire grills original cost.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:53 pm

Aren't the seals just rubber "O rings" :?: Question from a Novice :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:46 pm

Guessing it may be those copper ring seals that crush down and seal. Sorry to hear it may be a replace instead of repair scenario for you.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
MichaelGee
Pilgrim

Postby MichaelGee » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:56 am

Thx. I'll open it up tomorrow to see what it entails.
I guess I should ask if most of you guys turn off the gas at the cylinder after each use. Never heard anyone do this before.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:31 am

It's been years since I've owned one and even then it was a small 2 burner but I did turn it off at the bottle after use. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:18 am

I always turn my cylinder off but not to protect the valves rather if there's a leak somewhere (hose connection?) it won't drain the cylinder.

I'm guessing in order to protect the valves you'd need to purge the line as well but honestly, the pressure is so low I can't see how any of this leads to your failures. I'll assume you've performed a soap bubble test to see exactly where the leak(s) occur.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
MichaelGee
Pilgrim

Postby MichaelGee » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:07 am

Yep. I actually have the entire value system out, hooked it up to the gas, sprayed each valve orifice with a soapy water mixture, and, at as little as 7 psi, all 5 were producing bubbles.
Now, if we were totally happy with how the grill performed, maybe we'd be willing to spend the money to replace the part but since we've never really been happy with how this unit sears meat, the only loss is that the rest of the unit is in really good condition.
The wife is on board with us getting a new one. I think this time around we'll just go for a 2 or 3 burner unit but maybe one with better ratings and support. One rule I have is we don't spend more for a grill than for a new kitchen stove since we'll use the stove waaaaay more than a grill.

And, yes, I wondered if the constant pressure really had that much of an affect on the seals. We do turn it off when we put it away for the rest of the use so that means that it was only turned on for about 3 to 4 months, if that.
I suspect this is an excuse to cover their butts for poor valve design....but I'm no mechanical engineer.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:04 pm

Have you ever considered a "Blackstone" ? There's lots of members here that post up some great Cook pics from them :tup: :salut:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:11 pm

I would think 7 psi would be more that 7 times the amount of pressure those valves would have on them.
The regulator at the tank is to lower the pressure to the valves and jets. the normal pressure is less than 7 ounces for propane. About 4 ounces for natural gas. www.propane101.com/regulators.htm
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”