Thinking of finally getting a Weber. Is this a good one?

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jm88
Pilgrim

Thinking of finally getting a Weber. Is this a good one?

Postby jm88 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:19 pm

For the last 10 years, I have had a couple of Char Broil grills. The first one lasted about 5 years before some rust set in and was falling apart. I have an infrared one now with the trough below the grates and it was nice at first but I keep having to replace that trough and for some reason I can never get those grates fully clean. I have been on the fence about getting another gas grill or a pellet smoker, but most of the time I just quickly cook burgers, steaks chicken, or salmon. I do occasionally make ribs or a whole chicken and would love to have a smoker for that and maybe start doing more meats, but I do the burgers and steaks the most so I don't know how well a smoker only would be for that. Maybe I would need two grills eventually.
Anyways, I was thinking maybe this summer to get a Weber Genesis with the 3 burners plus the sear station with the enclosed box just because I think it looks nicer to store tools and stuff under it than the open and I thought the sear burner might be nice. I wouldn't want the stainless because I think they are harder to keep looking nice so the black ones I believe are around $900 (I want the natural gas). Anyways, I just was looking around and noticed one store has what I believe is the Genesis II E-310 (It says Weber Genesis II 66010001) with the open bottom, 3 burners only, porcelain coated iron grates, folding side table and it says the regular price is $699 but it is selling for $400 for some reason. They also list one that says E-310 (Model 6600000) which is also $400 and says the regular prices is $799 but I can't tell the difference. These are on the website so maybe I will stop by the store. I wasn't really wanting to get one now, and maybe that was not the exact one I was thinking of for later, but for more than half the price, I think I can live without the closed cabinet and the sear burner (and the side burner which I never use anyways). Are the porcelain coated iron grates better than stainless? Are they easy to clean and last long? What do you guys think? Is this a good idea?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Thinking of finally getting a Weber. Is this a good one?

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:45 pm

Welcome to the Forum :texas: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:05 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum from Norway.

I have had several gas grills over the years. All of the cheaper brands have rusted apart fairly fast. In 2002 I bought a Weber genesis at my home. It was with stainless lid and no doors. Two years ago I moved it to my cabin up in the mountains, replacing a broil king that was 5 years and falling apart. The Weber has been stored outside, mostly without cover and it still looks ok and still grills great. I have not changed burners or other things in it. Should maybe change a couple of the flavorizer bars that just now are rusting apart in the ends. It didn't have a sear station, just 3 burners that runs parallel to the long sides of the grill. My new Weber has multiple burners parallel to the SHORT side of the grill. This is important imho since it gives you more distance from the burners/heat if you do indirect cooking.

My new Weber has a sear station and although I didn't miss it before I got it, I do use it often for steaks. Especially when doing reverse sear.

My broil king had cast iron grates and they worked very well. My Webers have stainless steel grates. I think the cast iron grates gives better marking and holds the heat a little better but stainless steel grates are a little easier to maintain. Don't think I would put to much thinking into type of grates. You can change later if you want.

Although there are other good quality brands out there ( I don't know them all) you won't go wrong with a Weber. My experience is that they last for a long time. Even in harsh climate like we have here.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
jm88
Pilgrim

Postby jm88 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:21 pm

Thank you for the reply. I think my cheaper grills actually lasted longer than most because I keep the covered and under a canopy but the internals still end up rusting and warping. I know what you mean about the burners running parallel to the short side. I do actually cook ribs and sometimes a whole beer can chicken with what I have now and it works pretty well turning on the end burner only and putting a box of wood chips over the burner. May not be like a real wood smoker but at least it adds some flavor. Maybe I will swing by the store and see what is going on and why this is so cheap. I am thinking this is going to end up being an error or they are out of it as I have never seen one for $400 before.

Joernolav wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum from Norway.

I have had several gas grills over the years. All of the cheaper brands have rusted apart fairly fast. In 2002 I bought a Weber genesis at my home. It was with stainless lid and no doors. Two years ago I moved it to my cabin up in the mountains, replacing a broil king that was 5 years and falling apart. The Weber has been stored outside, mostly without cover and it still looks ok and still grills great. I have not changed burners or other things in it. Should maybe change a couple of the flavorizer bars that just now are rusting apart in the ends. It didn't have a sear station, just 3 burners that runs parallel to the long sides of the grill. My new Weber has multiple burners parallel to the SHORT side of the grill. This is important imho since it gives you more distance from the burners/heat if you do indirect cooking.

My new Weber has a sear station and although I didn't miss it before I got it, I do use it often for steaks. Especially when doing reverse sear.

My broil king had cast iron grates and they worked very well. My Webers have stainless steel grates. I think the cast iron grates gives better marking and holds the heat a little better but stainless steel grates are a little easier to maintain. Don't think I would put to much thinking into type of grates. You can change later if you want.

Although there are other good quality brands out there ( I don't know them all) you won't go wrong with a Weber. My experience is that they last for a long time. Even in harsh climate like we have here.

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:28 pm

I will say only this:

Generally speaking there is no “bad” about a Weber, only “good”. A quality product at a fair price.

If you buy a Smokey Mountain, I would invest in a hot water heater blanket or similar fireproof insulation. The only drawback to a stick- or charcoal burner Weber is its vulnerability to cold weather and wind given thinner gauge (but durable) steel.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
jm88
Pilgrim

Postby jm88 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:48 pm

I just found out that it is either the S-310 (stainless) or E-310 (the black one). They are both $400. What do you think is the better option?
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:04 pm

You can't go wrong with any of them imho. I personally like the look of stainless steel.

jm88
Pilgrim

Postby jm88 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:32 pm

I went to the store and it is actually only the S-310 that they had. So a $800 grill on sale for $400 for some reason. I thought these never went on sale! Anyways, I couldn't pass that up. I do like the look of the stainless but I have had cheaper stainless ones in the past and never really cleaned the top well so they didn't look too great. Hopefully it won't be too hard to keep this one looking nice. I do always keep it covered. This has the stainless grates as well which I have never used but it sounds like they are easy to clean. Thanks for the input.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:04 am

Congratulations. I think you will be happy with this.

I use the Weber stainless steel cleaner for keeping my grill clean. Works well.

jm88
Pilgrim

Postby jm88 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:04 am

Thank you. I will get some of that. How do you clean the grates? Do you do it after you cook or keep it dirty and clean it before you cook the next time? I have never dealt with stainless grates before. Are wire brushes safe anymore? I know someone who was hospitalized for ingesting a piece of brush that had fallen off and stuck to the food that was cooking.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:05 am

I use wire brush, but know many use aluminum foil crushed into a ball.

I brush of the grates after grilling while still hot. Usually another brush off after heat6up for next grilling. A couple of times during the year I take off the grates and clean them with Weber grate cleaner and a sponge with a rubbing side (don't know what it's called in English) and hot water.

bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Postby bogiedr » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:20 pm

My first Weber, Spirit 300, lasted 12 years including free replacement parts! Replaced with a Classic Kamado Joe. My wife had free "stuff" from work, ordered direct from Weber a Genesis 4, 4 burner stainless with side burner. Shortly after, bought a 22" Weber Kettle … see a pattern? Can't go wrong with Weber!!! Don't listen to dealers trying to talk you out it based on what they sell. You'll never go wrong with Weber! Just mu HO! 8)
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
Weber Genesis II LX S-440
Green Mountain Daniel Boone prime
jm88
Pilgrim

Postby jm88 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:54 am

Joernolav wrote:I use wire brush, but know many use aluminum foil crushed into a ball.

I brush of the grates after grilling while still hot. Usually another brush off after heat6up for next grilling. A couple of times during the year I take off the grates and clean them with Weber grate cleaner and a sponge with a rubbing side (don't know what it's called in English) and hot water.

That seems like a good idea since the grill is still hot anyways right afterwards. Plus, if you clean it afterwards, you can wipe the grates down when it is cool and if any pieces of brush fell off, they would be wiped clean. Is the rest of it pretty easy to maintain too? Seems like the grease just drips down and collects in the pan. Do the flavorizer bars need to be cleaned every so often? Seems like the grease drippings could cake on there and cause flareups. Does the whole grill box (under the burners) need to be cleaned on occasion?
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:05 am

I usually clean the flavourizer bars a couple of times during the year. Spring and autumn.

I also wash the box under the burners when I clean the bars.

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”