Charcoal grills

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ronnae USER_AVATAR
Ronnae
Pilgrim

Charcoal grills

Postby Ronnae » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:58 am

My grill has rusted away to nothing, so it's time for a new one. I definitely want charcoal. Don't need a smoker, but not opposed to one. Don't need it to be huge. Based on my experience with the last grill, durability/quality is my priority.

Right now I'm thinking this Weber, but I'm open to suggestions.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Charcoal grills

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:11 am

Howdy and welcome to the Forum :texas: :tup: Since you are wanting to go with Charcoal, you might consider a UDS (ugly drum smoker) I will soon be in the same predicament since I've been using a ECB (el cheapo brinkman) for years but they have stopped making them so I'll probably go with a UDS or something with similar construction. Good Luck :salut:

After posting this I decided to Google and look around. These are a lot like my Brinkman so, if they're still around when it lays down, I'll probably get this one or maybe the Americana Brand.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-Co ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Americana-A ... lsrc=aw.ds
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
MaryFzL
Pilgrim

Postby MaryFzL » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:41 am

Ronnae wrote:My grill has rusted away to nothing, so it's time for a new one. I definitely want charcoal. Don't need a smoker, but not opposed to one. Don't need it to be huge. Based on my experience with the last grill, durability/quality is my priority.

Right now I'm thinking this Weber, but I'm open to suggestions.

Hi, I'm not sure if I can be of much help but I needed the same advice several months ago and I literary spent days reading the reviews and forums.
I was also advised Dyna-Glo, buuuuut there are plenty of negative reviews, especially that it's cheaply made and too prone to rusting
After reading through some articles on charcoal grills ( I strongly advise you to do the same!) like this one https://pickadvisor.org/best-charcoal-grills-under-300/ it seems to be updating more often, but there are plenty of other articles as well, just google charcoal grills

Anyway, I ended up ordering this Weber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N634TV4/ as the price seems to be reasonable, I haven't use it yet, frankly speaking, but it's already assembled and looks awesome and sturdy

From all charcoal webers this one seems to be the most convenient (but I may be biased as I'm a fan of side tables and the one on my grill is just enough and doesn't make my grill bulky) however there are similar models with no table, which are cheeper

Message me so I can describe my amateur research in details
I'm about to be American, means that I need to know how to grill!
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:02 am

Hard to go wrong with a Weber and a vortex for it. Gives you the ability to grill, go low and slow, reverse sear, regular sear, make wings and the list goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:08 am

With a Weber Smokey Mountain, you can smoke and grill both. A well made sturdy unit at a good price, and delivers good value. Harrrumph!
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
MaryFzL
Pilgrim

Postby MaryFzL » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:42 pm

strength_and_pow wrote:Hard to go wrong with a Weber and a vortex for it. Gives you the ability to grill, go low and slow, reverse sear, regular sear, make wings and the list goes on.

What is the difference that vortex brings to grilling? Is it for smoking? Is it similar to smoker box?
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:00 pm

MaryFzL wrote:
strength_and_pow wrote:Hard to go wrong with a Weber and a vortex for it. Gives you the ability to grill, go low and slow, reverse sear, regular sear, make wings and the list goes on.

What is the difference that vortex brings to grilling? Is it for smoking? Is it similar to smoker box?

The vortex is a stainless steel funnel, 6-8” dia on the small end and 10-12” on the big end. With the small end up and a chimney of lit charcoal, all the heat is focused and shooting straight up. Reaching over it is a sure way to lose the hair on your arm. It will sear steaks with a vengeance. With the lid on, your Weber becomes basically a convection oven or an air fryer. Putting wings around the perimeter and they will come out with a crispy skin. No oil needed. Throw a couple of small chunks of wood on the grate over the vortex and your wings will get a nice smoke flavor.
With the big side up and your charcoal arranged around the outside in the minion method and it acts as a buffer of sorts for your indirect cooks. To me, it adds a lot of versatility to the Weber. I’m a fanImageImageImageImage

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:28 am

Those are some great photo's right there.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:06 am

I'm eating breakfast now. Two slices of bread with nutella.

You should know how much I rather had the food in the pictures above. Awsome looking food there. Great pictures too.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
MaryFzL
Pilgrim

Postby MaryFzL » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:07 am

strength_and_pow wrote:The vortex is a stainless steel funnel, 6-8” dia on the small end and 10-12” on the big end. With the small end up and a chimney of lit charcoal, all the heat is focused and shooting straight up. Reaching over it is a sure way to lose the hair on your arm. It will sear steaks with a vengeance. With the lid on, your Weber becomes basically a convection oven or an air fryer. Putting wings around the perimeter and they will come out with a crispy skin. No oil needed. Throw a couple of small chunks of wood on the grate over the vortex and your wings will get a nice smoke flavor.
With the big side up and your charcoal arranged around the outside in the minion method and it acts as a buffer of sorts for your indirect cooks. To me, it adds a lot of versatility to the Weber. I’m a fan

Thanks for the info, looking at your photos I feel I need to buy one right now :) meat looks sooooo delicious :cheers:

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”