Griddle Advice

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

pitrust USER_AVATAR
PitRust
Pilgrim

Griddle Advice

Postby PitRust » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:05 pm

Recently had the pleasure of cooking on a friend's outdoor griddle (4 burner) and of course, now, I have to have one. Just looking to see if anyone has any recommendations or advice as I start my search.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Griddle Advice

Postby Rambo » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:22 pm

I don’t have any knowledge of gas griddles but the guys around here speak favorably about the Blackstones
pitrust USER_AVATAR
PitRust
Pilgrim

Postby PitRust » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:08 pm

Thanks Rambo, Blackstone does seem to be the go to. Just started researching and trying to figure out all the pluses and minuses. Just noticed you are from Lufkin, I'm from the other L to the North aka Lobo Land.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:27 pm

:salut:
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:39 am

Blackstone really has it going on. They're not the only game in town but I can attest to the outstanding customer service they do offer. Seeing the huge selection of Blackstones and what they try to bundle together makes me a little dizzy. I would stick with just a griddle and forget the deep fry and other gimmick set-ups. The 36" model is really nice and I'm glad I went that direction even though my patio footprint better fit the 28" model. I simply don't use the side shelves as I have other shelving available.

Regardless of what model/brand you get I highly recommend the use of lard for seasoning. It's stronger and cheaper than any other so-called miracle oils touted. A hard cover is nice to have and there are some cheap options available for DIYers. A can of cheap spray-on canola oil will keep things from rusting after clean-up and cool-down. Spray on a good coat and next time you cook simply wipe off the excess after about 3 minutes of heat.

Griddle cooking is a real hoot but it's a fast process so you'll want to get everything prepped and ready - or have a sous chef to run inside and get what you forgot. :chef:

Best of luck - I think you'll really like it.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:17 am

I love my Blue Rhino griddle. I used to have the Academy Outdoor Gourmet griddle and I just hated the grease system.
Grease always ran down the leg and made a big mess. The original Blackstone had the same problem.

Then Blackstone switched their grease cup to the back of the griddle and that looked like a better deal, so I sold my griddle.
But before I could buy the new Blackstone, I saw the Blue Rhino Razor griddle. I wound up getting that instead and have been very happy with it.
The grease drawer is on the front and is so easy to use and to empty - I haven't spilled a drop! LOL I also like the way the shelves
fold over the top. It helps protect the griddle surface and also takes up less room.
Last edited by OkieGal on Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:13 am

OkieGal wrote:I love my Blue Rhino griddle. I used to have the Academy Outdoor Gourmet griddle and I just hated the grease system.
Grease always ran down the leg and made a big mess. The original Blackstone had the same problem.

Then Blackstone switched their grease cup to the back of the griddle and that looked like a better deal, so I sold my griddle.
But before I could buy the new Blackstone, I saw the Blue Rhino Razor griddle. I wound up getting that instead and have been very happy with it.
The grease drawer is on the front and is so easy to use and to empty - I have spilled a drop! LOL I also like the way the shelves
fold over the top. It helps protect the griddle surface and also takes up less room.

That’s good info
pitrust USER_AVATAR
PitRust
Pilgrim

Postby PitRust » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:03 pm

Thanks guys, all great info. I'll post what I end up getting. I seem to like the hunt, and of course the cooking, more than the actual purchase.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:48 pm

PitRust wrote:Thanks guys, all great info. I'll post what I end up getting. I seem to like the hunt, and of course the cooking, more than the actual purchase.

The Hunt is always more fun than The Kill, then you have all that cleaning to do
1moreford USER_AVATAR
1MoreFord
Rustler

Postby 1MoreFord » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:23 pm

I'm another person with no griddle knowledge but I also see good comments about the Camp Chef griddles. They have several models to choose from and based on my experience with my pellet grill they have good CS.
Joe

Falcon MKV Gas Grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn now gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef 24SG, and Weber 22" OTG
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:48 am

I have a three burner Blackstone and love it. It was gifted to me a while back and have enjoyed many meals from it now with that being said with just my wife and I the single burner table top would be my preference. We do a lot of weekend camping and loading the three burner up is a chore. For camping I still rely on my Coleman camp stove and cast iron skillets.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
pitrust USER_AVATAR
PitRust
Pilgrim

Postby PitRust » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:56 am

Went with the Blackstone 36” (4 burner) with hard cover. Working on seasoning her now. I greatly appreciate all of the comments and advice. Y’all are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:00 am

Congratulations. Have heard a lot of great reviews of it.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:59 am

Sweet deal and great choice.... You'll really like it. Look forward to the occasional picture of your efforts. :chef: :chef:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:48 am

Throw some groceries on that rascal.

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”