Drills

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Re: Drills

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:40 pm

interesting topic, I'm no expert my any means however I am interested in your findings. Hopefully someone on here can help.
mule rider USER_AVATAR
Mule rider
Rustler

Postby Mule rider » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:21 pm

I live in a small community in the Northwest and we don't have the larger hardware stores that most bigger cities have. I buy either Dewalt or Ace brand drills. I have bought some cheap drill from Harbor Freight and they are a very poor drills, of course you get what you pay for. As far as using cobalt or titanium bits only if I an drilling something harder than mild steel. So i get my drills from Ace Hardware. 8)
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm a big Irwin fan myself, especially for Bi Metal. For wood I'm partial to WoodRiver for Forstner Bits.
Not sure if I helped, but those are my choices.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
dwilliams35
Pilgrim

Postby dwilliams35 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:22 am

Well, I buy all the drill bits for a sizable machine shop: the stuff available through our suppliers positively leaves the commercial offerings in the dust. There’s a bunch of quite expensive drills we occasionally get for super-hardened stuff and nickel alloys, but up into chrome-moly carbon steel and such, there’s some reasonably priced brands that will translate into a very good drill bit for home-shop use. Tops in that category that I get very regularly is YG1, available in lots of places ( ive even seen them on eBay) and stuff by Titan USA up in Maryland or somewhere up there.. I don’t know that I’ve ever physically seen an actual titan-branded drill, but they make “house brand” drills for a LOT of vendors, including some on the Internet..

As far as the coatings/etc...from worst to first:
1. Standard bright
2a cobalt
2b TIN. Titanium nitride, the gold ones you see.... both of these could be a wash depending on application.
3. ALTIN: a black coating, add aluminum to the above. A VERY good, long lasting drill, and not much more $$$
4. There’s some other “named” coatings, like alcrona and such. Can be gray, purple, etc: probably spectacular overkill for what we’re talking about..

I use my share at home and occasionally at work, but most of this is just my assorted efforts over the years toward getting “bang for the buck” for given applications.. I’ve bought thousands upon thousands, probably used dozens...just for full disclosure...

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”