New barrel!!!!

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

New barrel!!!!

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:37 pm

Alright!!!!! I found a source foe open top drums for 30 bucks each. I hope I can get one this weekend. We have a weed burner here at work so I am going to use that. Do yall recommend burning it out after using the weed burner? Also I want to put vertical intakes on it. What kinda pipe can I use for them and what diameter pipe should I use? Also should I use ball valves on all 3 of the intakes?
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Re: New barrel!!!!

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:41 pm

Justin, I just finished mine and I used 3/4” black pipe with ball valves. I did a burn in it yesterday and it tested great. I hope to do a brisket this weekend. And depending on what was in the drum before you got it depends on your burn. Mine had coconut oil and was a food grade drum I burned the inside with a weed burner and had the outside sandblasted just because I had a buddy who owed me a favor. I’ve got a supply list of fittings, bolts and pipe that I can send you if you want. Just send me an email to.
Rgalindo@Keystonesynergy.com
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:10 pm

Man i am in such a pickle!!!!! I got my materials list put together today and figured up how much it will cost me to build it the way I want to build it. I also put together a materials list on a cinder block BBQ pit. Within 100 dollars of each other....... I can't decide which one I want..... My wife and I are in this house for the next 30 years AND I have a covered lean to off of my barn which is right in my back yard. If I go the cinder block route I will have a permanent, out of the way cooker. If I go ugly drum I will have 1 more grill on my back porch. Not saying that's a bad thing though. I think im leaning towards the cinder block pit. What do you all think?
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:19 pm

If were up to me, hands down I'd have a cinder block pit as fast as I could get it done. I'm kinda in the same spot as far as being here for the long term. That said my wife WILL have a pool so positioning it is up in the air. But a good size pit is in the future.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:13 am

GTR wrote:If were up to me, hands down I'd have a cinder block pit as fast as I could get it done. I'm kinda in the same spot as far as being here for the long term. That said my wife WILL have a pool so positioning it is up in the air. But a good size pit is in the future.

I feel ya. I wish our back yard was big enough for a pool.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:27 am

My $0.02 would be that the UDS is "totally" relocatable and can always be put under the lean to if necessary, however, the cinder block pit is where you build it "period" :dont: Also, if it is raining the UDS could be located to where you didn't have to make the wet trip to attend to the meat. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:16 am

OldUsedParts wrote:My $0.02 would be that the UDS is "totally" relocatable and can always be put under the lean to if necessary, however, the cinder block pit is where you build it "period" :dont: Also, if it is raining the UDS could be located to where you didn't have to make the wet trip to attend to the meat. :dont:

You have a good point oup....
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:38 am

Plus the UDS can easily be transported to other events, like camping, tailgating, cookout at reunions. Hard decision.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 am

So what yall are saying is i need to build both???!!!!
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 am

JustinCouch wrote:So what yall are saying is i need to build both???!!!!
Absolutely :laughing7:

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
mule rider USER_AVATAR
Mule rider
Rustler

Postby Mule rider » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:07 pm

No such thing as too much Fun.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Mule rider wrote:No such thing as too much Fun.

Not unless you talk to my wife :idea:

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”