Baptising My UDS

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Re: Baptising My UDS

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:36 pm

Well it’s a done deal. Brisket point was good but on the verge of drying out. The flat was like cardboard.
Reason?.... I’ve come to my own conclusion that I SHOULD have had a WATER pan in there too.
Live and learn right, you think I would have known but thought the brisket was fat enough to stay moist.
New toy, New lessons
DED27680-E385-431F-9848-A89DE1CA2B94.jpeg

D7F91360-0533-49DF-B015-A5699520C8EB.jpeg

8EF1D712-AA4B-43A0-9FB0-7187FF18B622.jpeg

Also didn’t get the smoke ring I normally get on my other smokers. I used lump and Pecan instead of my usual Oak.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:08 pm

That’s mighty fine
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:40 am

Considering that was a Firstie, I'd call that "Progress" and Lunches :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:15 am

And on the 8th day god made chipped beef sandwiches with BBq sauce, onions and relish and on the 9th day he made kick butt tacos. :cheers: :fiestanana: :bandito: :drumnana: :coolnana:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:43 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Considering that was a Firstie, I'd call that "Progress" and Lunches :tup: :salut: :cheers:

YES!

And on the 10th stuff the leftovers in a baked potato!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:33 am

and on the 11th he rested with some Brisket ABTs :wav:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:26 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:Well it’s a done deal. Brisket point was good but on the verge of drying out. The flat was like cardboard.
Reason?.... I’ve come to my own conclusion that I SHOULD have had a WATER pan in there too.
Live and learn right, you think I would have known but thought the brisket was fat enough to stay moist.
New toy, New lessons
Also didn’t get the smoke ring I normally get on my other smokers. I used lump and Pecan instead of my usual Oak.

analyzing your cook, I have read that under cooked brisket is dry, I have also read that over cooked is dry, not sure where yours was did you do a temp reading? if neither over or under then the brisket is to blame? :dont: IDK... I have cooked over a water pan and to me the brisket came out soched with water, I did not care for that one, maybe I just should have used less water IDK on that but never tried it again after I cut it open and water litteraly ran everywhere... Glad to read of your success on the temperature, the dryness thing I am sure you will overcome, I have a friend that built his own UDS and he loves it, if I had patio space I would have one, but my little bride says otherwise... :cheers:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:44 pm

Hello Spacetrucker,...... I cooked to 205 temp in the point, It even passed the poke test. I’m not a fan of water pans but just figured it was a moisture issue so a pan would have helped. Need to get on you tube and do more research.
As far as brisket? I always usually go with select and they come out great even won a few trophy’s in comps. This is the first Choice I’ve cooked in a long time and it looked great, had good marbling and was limber too.
It’s not the first brisket I’ve botched but it is the first in a loooooong time :scratch:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:43 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:Hello Spacetrucker,...... I cooked to 205 temp in the point, It even passed the poke test. I’m not a fan of water pans but just figured it was a moisture issue so a pan would have helped. Need to get on you tube and do more research.
As far as brisket? I always usually go with select and they come out great even won a few trophy’s in comps. This is the first Choice I’ve cooked in a long time and it looked great, had good marbling and was limber too.
It’s not the first brisket I’ve botched but it is the first in a loooooong time :scratch:

I don't think you did anything wrong; hey, crap happens. Go cook another one. I've seen your work :chef:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Rambo wrote:
TwoGuysBBQ wrote:I don't think you did anything wrong; hey, crap happens. Go cook another one. I've seen your work :chef:

I guess I have to go with Rambo, cook another and lets see where it goes..., the temp, the poke test IDK?
This is how we learn..
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Happy for you TwoGuys !
Just makes it that much better when you reep the rewards of blood, sweat and beers ya know

Hope you salvaged the tougher brisket pieces in the slow cooker ?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:27 am

That brisket looks good. Did you just fill your charcoal basket full then light a few brickets?
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:49 am

Yes Sir filled it up, then pulled a handful out of the middle. Put them in a charcoal chimney, let it then after a few minutes put that in the middle of the basket.
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:40 pm

Back when i had my PBC drum smoker I would wrap my brisket like you did but would pour about a cup of beef bouillon in the foil with it. It helped with the moisture. I'd let it rest when temp was right for a couple of hours to suck that juice back up in it. If i forgot to put the beef bouillon in, it would come out dry. Just my 2 pennies.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:30 am

bobcat1 wrote:Back when i had my PBC drum smoker I would wrap my brisket like you did but would pour about a cup of beef bouillon in the foil with it. It helped with the moisture. I'd let it rest when temp was right for a couple of hours to suck that juice back up in it. If i forgot to put the beef bouillon in, it would come out dry. Just my 2 pennies.

that is exactly what I do when presented with a flat, has little or no fat, do the normal smoke till 170 or 180, then the beef broth and wrap, along with a little seasoning since the broth wants to naturally dilute the existing seasoning.. and finish. I have had numerous success stories with that process.
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”