UDS Build

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Re: UDS Build

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:19 am

Hmmm... OK Jim.... Thats actually similar to what I want to do.

I have something in mind and it's about 5" in diameter. I may be able to get it smaller though. Will have to search around.

If not, how do you think a damper would work with a 5" exhaust?
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:26 am

You could use a damper. I would think it might make it a little harder to get it dialed in for cooking temps ( adjusting intakes and exhaust ) and keeping it dialed in. JWWFM-YMMV

Also for the exhaust, auto exhaust pipe works great and is inexpensive. And takes paint well. :wink:
Jim
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:36 am

'Nuther question...

The drum that I built last time had a removable lid. The three drums that I just acquired do not have removable lids.

How can I remove the lids and still keep them usable? :dont:

I'm thinking maybe using an angle grinder along the seam on the side. I figure that this should remove the seam but keep the lip so that the lid will still fit on top without falling through (hopefully!)
Chuck

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:05 am

nascarchuck wrote:'Nuther question...

The drum that I built last time had a removable lid. The three drums that I just acquired do not have removable lids.

How can I remove the lids and still keep them usable? :dont:

I'm thinking maybe using an angle grinder along the seam on the side. I figure that this should remove the seam but keep the lip so that the lid will still fit on top without falling through (hopefully!)
\

Yep.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:12 pm

OK... Fixin to make another drum smoker within the next week or so. Question about painting and the prep for the paint.

Using the weed burner that y'all talk about, do you burn the paint off on the outside of the drum or what? I have yet to paint one but the next one will be painted. I just want to prep it right so the paint will adhere properly.

Also, when using nipples for the intake, what length are you using? I was using short ones, like around 1" but saw someone has long ones (maybe 10"-12"). Would that work better getting the intake closer under the coals?

What cha thunk?
Chuck

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:41 pm

I use short nipples on all the drums I build. They work just fine. Yep, just burn off the paint, wash down the outside with some Dawn dishwashing liquid, dry it off and paint it whatever color you want.
Jim
pulled pork
Pilgrim

Postby pulled pork » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:38 pm

As I get ready to build. I am curious of the avg cook times for the UDS. Do any of ya’ll know what the avg per pound cook time is for Pork Butt and Brisket. I am used to using my cookshack and I know that PB is 1.5 h.p.p. +/- to get to 195. I know everyone’s will be a little different, but I was wanting to write down a ball park time so I kinda know what to expect. TIA.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:54 am

The cook time will be the same if you use the same temp as in your cook shack - doesn't matter what you are cooking in.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
pulled pork
Pilgrim

Postby pulled pork » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:10 am

egghead wrote:The cook time will be the same if you use the same temp as in your cook shack - doesn't matter what you are cooking in.

I would think the moisture content inside the smoker would affect cooktimes. Though I might be wrong. I think a 10lb butt could/would cook at different times per the type of smoker used. Even if all were cooked at the same temp.
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:01 pm

With the UDS you are actually in more of a convection cooking method. You should cook faster at the same temp like the BGE and other direct/indirect uprights.

One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:33 pm

:idea:
Last edited by BluDawg on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:34 pm

pulled pork wrote:As I get ready to build. I am curious of the avg cook times for the UDS. Do any of ya’ll know what the avg per pound cook time is for Pork Butt and Brisket. I am used to using my cookshack and I know that PB is 1.5 h.p.p. +/- to get to 195. I know everyone’s will be a little different, but I was wanting to write down a ball park time so I kinda know what to expect. TIA.

There is a new product in the market that will solve your problem :The Digital Remote Probe Thermometer. you place the probe in the meat select the temp that you want the bult-in alarm to go off at.when the alarm goes of it 's time for the poke test. No two pieces will ever react to the same temp the same way. "Sort a like a woman they all heat up differently, and they give in at different times." it's done when it's done!!
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Jdewall
Pilgrim

Postby Jdewall » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:38 am

New guy here. Picking up all the goods to build my own UDS. First build and super excited, however I'm thinking about a twist. I want doors on the barrel to access the grates and possibly make it easier to clean the barrel out. Anyone had success with this or should I stay away for any reason from cutting out a couple of doors.

Thanks in advance.

J
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:01 am

I would stay away from cutting doors. They are to hard to get them to seal up good and airtight and that will cause air leaks that will make it hard to control the temps. No real advantage to getting to the grate through a small door over lifting the lid.

JWWFM-YMMV
Jim
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:50 am

Agreed. Stay away from the doors.
Chuck

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”