UDS Build

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:23 pm

Looks like your well on your way to the joys of barrel cooking! :D

Instead of bolts, can you just weld some tabs to the inside of the barrel for the grate support? Of course, I used bolts because I can't weld...

Really liking that coal basket!

James.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:34 pm

I will weld the tabs on the inside, but until I play around with the placement of the grates, I wanted to use bolts. Then when I get the placement and spacing right I'll weld in tabs and weld the holes shut. :D I figured it would be easier to weld the holes shut than grinding out the tabs and re welding if I decide I want or need to make a change of where the grates are setting for now. :D
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:42 pm

Sounds like you got it figured out! Keep the updates coming!

James.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:48 pm

Lookin' great, Jim! I'm very envious now.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:17 pm

I just went out and measured and the top grate is 6" below the lip of my barrel. The second is 4" below that. I also have a third set of bolts about 6" below the bottom grate. Originally, I had thought I might want to put a grate at that level and place a water pan on it, but I have yet to do so...

James.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:34 pm

The lid on the barrel I'm using sets down about 3/4" lower than the lip of the barrel. So, I am going to put the first grate at 7" below the lip of the barrel, the 2nd grate 6" below that, and a place for a 3rd grate 5" below the 2nd grate.
I'm thinking like you James, I may want to put a pan in there some time. I was thinking about one of those clay pans you set a flower pot in. Cover the inside with aluminum foil and put sand in it to act as a heat sink instead of using water. Wouldn't have to re-fill it that way. Do you think the clay pan would work or would the heat be too much for it ? I was thinking since it had sand instead of water, it wouldn't matter if it got a crack in it being lined with aluminum foil. It might make the barrel act like a WSM on steroids. :shock: :lol: What do you think. :D
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:44 pm

I've been using sand instead of water in my WSM since I got it. Also hearing about a lot of folks using the clay pot base in the WSM instead of sand or water... Reports have been favorable. Should workout just fine in a UDS.

James.
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:49 pm

I went back out and measured mine. Ya'll are measuring from the top down. Were I got the ideas for mine, the recommendation was to have the grate at least 24 inches from the bottom of the firebox. My firebox is 2" off the bottom and my grate is 26 1/2 off the bottom. That leaves me room for a grate on top, if I use the Weber lid. The distance had something to do with the direct heat. The thought is if any closer to the fire, the meat would get to hot.
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:52 pm

JaCK2U2 wrote:I went back out and measured mine. Ya'll are measuring from the top down. Were I got the ideas for mine, the recommendation was to have the grate at least 24 inches from the bottom of the firebox. My firebox is 2" off the bottom and my grate is 26 1/2 off the bottom. That leaves me room for a grate on top, if I use the Weber lid. The distance had something to do with the direct heat. The thought is if any closer to the fire, the meat would get to hot.

That distance seems to be the accepted minimum. My lower cooking grate is still >24" from the top of the coals... Sure wish a Weber lid fit on these barrels! I have!

James.
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:14 am

Mine doesn't really fit. It sorta balances on top. It seals good enough that it works fine.
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ

Backwoods Party
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:42 pm

Well it was a good day at the shop today. :D

cut the intake hole at the bottom and welded the intake pipe in.

Got all the old paint off the top, cut the exhaust hole in and welded the exhaust pipe in place, made up a couple handles to make it easier to lift the top off.

Made a hook and attached it to the bottom of the lid so I could hang it off the top lip when when I need to get into the barrel.

It don't look too bad. :roll: It will look better when it gets painted. :roll: I hope. :lol: :lol:
Won't be much longer now. :D :D
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Looks good! Be sure to take pics of it's maiden voyage!

James.
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:53 pm

Sure is looking good. I'm anxious to see how the single, larger intake works. One thing for sure, once you use it, you'll be hooked.
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ

Backwoods Party
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:00 pm

Nice drum Jim!!!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:09 pm

Jack, I'm not sure how it will work. :dont: But I use a Spicewine smoker that has one adj. intake and an adj. exhaust, and most of the ceramic cookers use that same setup, and its used on Stumps smokers. So if it acts like my other smoker the intake should be less than 1/4 open once it's up to temp and might even have to tweak the exhaust closed 1/4. :D But time will tell. :D
Jim

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”