Smoking tubes

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Smoking tubes

Postby Copasspupil » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:45 am

Anybody use these? I can't cold smoke on my smoker. I enjoyed the flavor of smoked cheeses and fish but my temp never gets that low to use it. The wife doesn't like the flavor when I try on my pit currently. Looking for suggestions on them and if only one is enough or go with 2 for a 42" smoker. I started to look at these smoking tubes to see if they might work.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Smoking tubes

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:55 am

KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:51 pm

I just tried the AmazingTube and was a little underwhelmed. I will say, it smoked just like advertised but the smoke was pretty thick and dense when compared to my stick burner. It seemed to make things quite a bit more bitter. With that said, it could be the "pre-loaded" pellets that it came with. I'm thinking of trying some apple pellets along with shorter smoking times to see if it fits my needs. Also, I'd recommend you keep it as far away from the food as possible - the creosote it generated was pretty evil. It's a lot easier than tending a very small fire in the bitter cold so I'll give it another go before abandoning it.

If any experts have some tips I'm all eyes. :thap:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

I use a tube for cold smoking cheese as well. So far, no complaints. The cheese has to sit in the fridge in freezer paper for a while for the smoke to mellow out. After about 10 days, it's ready.

This is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XN ... UTF8&psc=1
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:28 pm

I have the short and long tubes, along with the tray. The tubes work fine for my needs cheese, and even in with the pellet smokers on occasion to add some extra smoke flavor.
I will divulge, the pellets or sawdust that came with them when they were new went in the trash. I have used my own pellets successfully. As for the tray I had trouble keeping it lit, so it does not get used much. I light them with a propane torch then let them smolder from the top down.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:30 pm

Perfect just what I needed to hear. Thanks!
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:51 pm

spacetrucker wrote:I have the short and long tubes, along with the tray. The tubes work fine for my needs cheese, and even in with the pellet smokers on occasion to add some extra smoke flavor.
I will divulge, the pellets or sawdust that came with them when they were new went in the trash. I have used my own pellets successfully. As for the tray I had trouble keeping it lit, so it does not get used much. I light them with a propane torch then let them smolder from the top down.

OK... so off to the store to buy some different pellets. Also, I'm guessing you don't lay the tube on it's side like the pictures show - that actually makes more sense. I still got nearly two hours from the 6" tube but will stand things up next time AND place in the offset firebox. Last time I had it in the cook chamber not too far from the food. Thanks for the info. :thap:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:03 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:OK... so off to the store to buy some different pellets. Also, I'm guessing you don't lay the tube on it's side like the pictures show -

I never saw a picture of them laying on their side just always thought logically to me they should stand up? as for buying new pellets, not sure the quality of what you received in your smoking tubes, mine came years ago and since I burn pellets most of the time, it was not a problem for me to trash what seemed to me to be bad pellets and place some decent looking pellets in their place. What you received may indeed have been fine I dont know? :dont: if you are going to buy pellets, I would look for cherry, apple, or mesquite depending on what your application may be..
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:55 pm

I lay mine on its side. :dont:
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Used mine yesterday smoking some cheese. Have used it many times on cheese and salmon. I lay mine on the side. I order the variety pack of pellets from BBQ Delight on Amazon.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:45 pm

BBQ Delight and Cookin' Pellets are the only pellets I will use.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:26 am

Fourteen (oops - thirteen) blocks of cheese on the pit as I type. Picked up some "fresh" pellets (PitBoss hickory) and I do believe I found the problem. These pellets are producing a much better looking and smelling smoke. I guess the crap ones that came with the tube were old and or moisture laden.

Only reason I went with hickory is Walmart had a small package (one pound?) and I didn't really need 20-40 pounds of the stuff. If anyone has a zip-lock bag full of apple pellets they'd like to donate let me know :D :D :D

Thanks for all the advice.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:34 am

txsmkmstr wrote:Fourteen (oops - thirteen) blocks of cheese on the pit as I type. Picked up some "fresh" pellets (PitBoss hickory) and I do believe I found the problem. These pellets are producing a much better looking and smelling smoke. I guess the crap ones that came with the tube were old and or moisture laden.

Only reason I went with hickory is Walmart had a small package (one pound?) and I didn't really need 20-40 pounds of the stuff. If anyone has a zip-lock bag full of apple pellets they'd like to donate let me know :D :D :D

Thanks for all the advice.

Does it create enough smoke for your LSG pit? I’ve only smoked cheese in my kettle which is kind of a pain. Never thought about a tube and loading Blue up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:18 am

txsmkmstr wrote: If anyone has a zip-lock bag full of apple pellets they'd like to donate let me know :D :D :D

If you were closer, I could furnish you with all the B&B Apple Pellets you'd need for that project. :dont: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:57 pm

bsooner75 wrote:
Does it create enough smoke for your LSG pit? I’ve only smoked cheese in my kettle which is kind of a pain. Never thought about a tube and loading Blue up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh Blue would be perfect for this. Even with the firebox door open and the tube on the fire grate I got a steady supply of smoke in the cook chamber. Just be sure the pellets are dry. I vac sealed the unused pellets for next round.

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”