Weber thermometer disappointment

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Thomas_Z
Pilgrim

Weber thermometer disappointment

Postby Thomas_Z » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:52 am

Just read a review from June
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=34440
and decided to share my experience, too...
I bought myself a Weber iGrill 2 and after about 45 days and three uses I got very disappointed with this device. Probe tolerances were significantly variable. I noticed one, in particular, was clearly out of the ball park.
The attached pictures show the test setup I did.

- All four probes (three meat, one grill) suspended in a pot, not touching each other or the metal of the pot.
- I added rolling boiling water, which should have been close to 212 degrees.
- Screen shots show the temperature plots. I swapped probe one and two to confirm it was the probe and not the receiver jack. You can see how variable the reported temperature is coming from the same medium.

Additionally, the grill temperature probe (number four in the series) when in a grill stops working at about 500 degrees. When it cools off it returns to function.

Lastly, the Bluetooth range is less than advertised. Outside, direct line-of-site, the range is maybe 20 feet.
I bought this device from this list https://grillguru.org/best-smoker-thermometer/, because it was on the top. However, a friend of mine advised me to pay $20 more and buy Maverick. Sorry for the wrong picture order. Hope, this info will be useful for you. Let me know if you were lucky with this one
Attachments
test5.png
test2.png
test1.jpg
GTR
Bandolero

Re: Weber thermometer disappointment

Postby GTR » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Just looking at the readings, the start temps vary among a couple of them. #2 and #4 are +/- 80*. #1 and #3 are considerably higher. As far as the probe not reading over 500*, not really an issue. They most likely aren't designed to operate in that range. At that heat, for any prolonged time, the smoker/grill is in real trouble of damage. I generally set up my Maverick in the house and check them at air temp. They are always within a couple of degrees +/- of my thermostat setting. I'd start by checking them indoors, swap them around in the head unit, and replace the ones too far out.

On this forum Maverick and ThermoPen seem to be the products of choice. :texas:
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”