ThermoWorks Smoke probe recommendations

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

ThermoWorks Smoke probe recommendations

Postby emradguy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:29 pm

So, my Smoke arrived today. As you guys probably know, it comes with an air probe and an angled 6” meat probe. I’m wondering what probes you guys would recommend having on hand.

I grill a lot of steaks, mostly filet mignon and ribeye, and have been getting into rotisserie chicken lately too. So, I’m currently leaning towards picking up a pair of 2.5” probes, but am not sure if I ought to get a pair of 4.5” ones as well or instead?

Last question, what’s the advantage of the needle probe?
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Re: ThermoWorks Smoke probe recommendations

Postby strength_and_pow » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:36 pm

I’ve always used the 6” angle probe and have never been like “ darn, I need x probe” the longer probe will get you into center mass of most briskets, roasts, turkeys etc.
A shorter probe might be nice for a steak but if I could only choose one, I’d get the longer.
The probe only reads at the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smokin' Greenie
Pilgrim

Postby Smokin' Greenie » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:42 pm

Although I'm using a Maverick, probe usage should be the same as for ThermoWorks. I also don't see much advantage to a shorter-length tapered probe. You'll want/need a longer one to get to the correct location in a turkey, brisket, pork butt, etc. As already mentioned, the temperature is only measured at the tapered tip.

For "flatter/thinner" meats (steaks, etc.), just insert the probe at a very flat angle relative to the cooking grate. I smoke a lot of thin items (pork tenderloin medallions which get cubed into Tasso, homemade sausage patties, etc.), and I temperature-check everything before taking off the grill. Have learned it improves consistency of the finished product (and in cases such as with poultry is essential to avoiding a foodborne illness). My wife has gotten so picky about the doneness of her hamburgers that I even check them with an instant-read thermometer before plating (think I am reasonably safe that she won't access this forum! :D ).

Hope this helps,

SG
Gator Pit Tailgator
emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:17 pm

Thanks both of you for your replies. Let’s say for arguments sake, I would get a couple 2.5” probes for filet mignon and other small diameter steaks, and then got something long for pork butts, turkey breast, etc. I’ve already got the 6” that came with the set.

Question 1: would this be completely wasting my money, a bit extravagant or practical (yet unnecessary) since I can afford it?

Question 2: what is the advantage of the needle probe? I mean, if there isn’t one, why do they bother selling it?
Smokin' Greenie
Pilgrim

Postby Smokin' Greenie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:35 am

I'll attempt to address your two questions as follows:

1. My answer to question 1 is simply a personal opinion, so please treat it accordingly! If the additional probes aren't essential, but they aren't particularly expensive and you can afford them, then I think the answer is how much you would enjoy/appreciate them? Just in case my wife actually is viewing this forum, I won't mention how many items I have in my BBQ/smoker supplies that may not be essential or only get used occasionally, but I'm still glad that I have them. :D

2. I can't personally comment on the utility of the needle probe, so I'm simply copying the relevant link from the ThermoWorks web site:

https://www.thermoworks.com/TX-1002X-NP

Hope this helps,

SG
Gator Pit Tailgator
emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:44 pm

Thanks for your reply. I’m leaning towards picking up a couple of the 2.5” probes. Will probably get a fair amount of use out of them.

I had read that needle probe info on the TW page. I guess being new to using thermometers in my cooking (well, new to using them with more interest and diligence...and accuracy), I just had to read it a few times and really consider what’s being said there. My interest is only in the grill, and maybe the oven, since my Sous Vide already has a thermometer in the circulator, and the regular probes seem just fine for those applications. So, I’m going to pass on the needle, at least for now.
Smokin' Greenie
Pilgrim

Postby Smokin' Greenie » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:11 pm

One last suggestion- it does not hurt to have a spare probe. You don't want to get everything set up and then find out that a probe doesn't read. A meat probe can serve as a spare meat or air probe. I bought a set of spares for my Maverick years ago and only a few months later needed to use one of them while starting a big cook. Was really glad I'd thought of that in advance.

SG
Gator Pit Tailgator
emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:40 pm

Smokin' Greenie wrote:One last suggestion- it does not hurt to have a spare probe. You don't want to get everything set up and then find out that a probe doesn't read. A meat probe can serve as a spare meat or air probe. I bought a set of spares for my Maverick years ago and only a few months later needed to use one of them while starting a big cook. Was really glad I'd thought of that in advance.

SG

That’s a great point!!!
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:18 pm

If I’m cooking multiple briskets, I will put a probe in each and just rotate plugging them in to the display to keep an eye on things

emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:28 pm

strength_and_pow wrote:If I’m cooking multiple briskets, I will put a probe in each and just rotate plugging them in to the display to keep an eye on things

Another great idea! Thanks so very much!

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”