American Royal

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sharkchum USER_AVATAR
Sharkchum
Pilgrim

Re: American Royal

Postby Sharkchum » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:21 am

We did get to walk, 5th place dessert. We got a perfect 180 score, but so did 4 other teams. They do a random draw to break the tie and we got 5th.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
sharkchum USER_AVATAR
Sharkchum
Pilgrim

Postby Sharkchum » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:27 am

I don't think I will do anymore KCBS cook off, I felt it was poorly run. They assigned us ambassadors to help up with any questions we had since we were a first time team, but they were no help at all. There are a husband and wife that run a bunch of the IBCA cook offs in my area and they are great with helping the cookers, no so up there.

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:53 am

Sharkchum wrote:I don't think I will do anymore KCBS cook off, I felt it was poorly run. They assigned us ambassadors to help up with any questions we had since we were a first time team, but they were no help at all. There are a husband and wife that run a bunch of the IBCA cook offs in my area and they are great with helping the cookers, no so up there.

You must be speaking of Kevin Miller and his wife Debbie.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:28 am

GRailsback wrote:
You must be speaking of Kevin Miller and his wife Debbie.

:tup: :wav: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:43 pm

Congratulations :salut:
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:04 pm

I am a Kansas boy living in TX! Man your food looks amazing. You are a winner in my book. Way to go. Looks like a lot of work and a lot of fun. Great job my friend!
Bockbock
Dillo Q
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:01 pm

Well done brother, we did the Open in ‘18 and it’s a great experience, got to meet Myron and Big Moe (both were great), and almost ran over Tuffy Smith during load in (he’d maybe had a few, and stepped out suddenly from behind a light pole where he’d been taking a leak, and I had to stand on the brakes to keep from squashing him like a grape). Your boxes are amazing and you represented very well. For our part I’ll say I’m glad we did it, but also not likely to go back. The whole KCBS perspective on barbecue type seems, JMHO, focused on a bland homogenous pursuit of visual perfection and sweet without heat. The whole remanufactured chicken thigh thing to is just going too far. I still think Texas comps are more “purist” and better as focused on real texture and taste. Again, JMHO.

Glad you went and made it home safe, all the best - Boots
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”